Search

Versailles in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Versailles in the winter?

Hello all,

Our group is going to be visiting Paris in late December/early January. My companions are interested in visiting Versailles. I have been to Versailles twice, both times in the summer, and I am concerned that without the beautiful gardens it won't be worth the trip. What do you think? Has anyone had a great experience in the winter?

Thanks for your advice!
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 10:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I am concerned that without the beautiful gardens it won't be worth the trip<<

Well, about 60% of the visitors to the Palace never set foot in the gardens. Yes -- the Palace itself it worthwhile any time of year.

Whether you/they should visit Versailles mostly depends on how long you are staying in Paris and if you have set aside enough time for sites IN the city.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 10:57 AM

I was there in the winter and was predictably disappointed with the gardens. There is, understandably, very little growing but also many smaller statues were covered/wrapped to protect them from the cold. That being said, if that's the time of year you (or your friends) are in the neighborhood and want to see Versailles, it's still worth the trip, IMO. But if you knew you had another trip planned for a warmer time of year, I would save Versailles for that trip.

I still managed to get a pic from the gardens in February that I love and had printed to a 30x40 canvas!
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 11:00 AM

The palace will be nicer then in summer.. not as hot and crowded.. but yes.. the gardens will most definitely not be beautiful.. they will basically be dead and all the statues are covered up with tarps .

So.. most important , why do friends want to go.

I personally feel guests who go to Versailles and skip the gardens ( in decent seasons I mean) are doing themselves a huge disservice since the grounds are very nice.. and skipping Marie Antionettes Hamlet and the Grand and Petit Trianons seems to me to be missing too much.. but in winter, in possible rain..no thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 11:44 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
French garden design is much less based on flowers than, say, English cottage gardens. They are often based more pattern, water, statuary, fountains, etc. than color and it should still be interesting in winter. It isn't a question of no gardens, but of gardens in winter, just a different esthetic. If anyone in your party has a particular interest in garden design, it should be interesting to them.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 11:46 AM

I personally feel guests who go to Versailles and skip the gardens ( in decent seasons I mean) are doing themselves a huge disservice since the grounds are very nice.. and skipping Marie Antionettes Hamlet and the Grand and Petit Trianons seems to me to be missing too much.. but in winter, in possible rain..no thanks.>

Yes indeedy - I'd rather skip the claustrophic palace tour than the gardens and the haneau - you can also rent boats to ply the very long pool lying straight behind the chateau.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 11:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
And even w/o the gardens -- why would the <i>Palace</i> be less interesting in the winter?
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 11:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Versailles is nice with flowers in the flower beds, but that is a minor part of the gardens. The design of the gardens is impressive in any season.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 12:28 PM

We've been twice in winter. Some of the bedrooms and state rooms are better illuminated, but most of the rest of the palace - including the famous "Hall of Mirrors" is dark and gloomy. The gardens at this time of year are mainly patterns outlined in boxwood - there aren't any flowers in winter to speak of. The trees are mostly bare, and the statues will be covered to protect them from frost. The fountains will not be operating if the weather is too cold - if this interests you, you should check on it. If you're lucky, the sun will be out, but normally at this time of year, it's drizzling, overcast and very cold. If you're a big Emily Bronte fan, you might enjoy yourself, though.

If you are dead-set on visiting Versailles during the worst time of the year, you should know that it will still be crowded, since this is also school vacation time for Europeans as well as other nationalities.

You might consider visiting Vaux-le-Vicomte or Fountainebleau instead. Everything will be gloomy in winter, but at least these chateaux won't be overrun with tour groups, and you will be able to visit them at your leisure.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 08:26 PM

The first time I visited Versailles it was during a winter ice storm, and the place was magnificent. Have been back in multiple seasons, and it is delightful in different ways at different seasons.
Old Oct 30th, 2015, 09:01 PM

A lot does depend on a persons motivation for seeing a place .Those interested in history do not generally give a horses patootie how weather is.. lol

I also think Fontainbleau)(sorry sp) is a great option.. but I love the painting galleries..
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

I'm glad to hear so many people enjoyed their visit in the winter! Thank you also for the tips on the other chateaux. I've been to Vaux-le-Vicomte and thought it was beautiful. The reason I posted the question is because I've always thought the gardens were the best part of my visit. Despite a double major in history and history of art and architecture, I've never enjoyed the palace itself very much. Like many of you however, my companions might enjoy it, even without the gardens.