Verona Venice FIorence

Mar 13th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

Verona Venice FIorence

I will be flying into Malpensa with my family and plan to meet up with other family members in Florence on Day 5 . As we have 4 days to spare , which city should we visit first (so we do not back track) Verona or Venice ? and how many days do you suggest we allocate in each City.
Mar 13th, 2015, 03:14 AM

Verona is right on the way from Milan to Venice, whereas it would be a detour between Venice and Florence.

It seems to me, unless I'm counting wrong, that you have four nights to spare before you go to Florence, which gives you only three full days. If I'm right, I would spend one night in Verona and three in Venice. That will give you just one afternoon (maybe a bit jet-lagged) and part of the next day, in Verona. You may need to leave your bags at the hotel (or at the train station) in the morning while you spend a little more time sightseeing in Verona. Then you'll have two full days in Venice.
Mar 13th, 2015, 05:17 AM

Good advice from bvlenci.

Verona isn't very big, but it is intense. Get a taxi to your hotel from the station. Check in, leave your bags, head into town. The Roman arena is spectacular and still in use for concerts. Walk around, have a gelato, walk around some more. Eat an early dinner, crash.

Next morning, the museum is spectacular for its architecture even if you don't like museums. The church of San Zeno, a short cab ride away if you are in a hurry, is famous for its medieval wall paintings and its bronze doors, a couple of hundred years older than the bronze doors by Ghiberti in Florence. As you pass through, all the bridges you see are reproductions as the originals were blown up by the Germans in WWII.

Taxi to the station, then on to the glory of Venice!
Mar 13th, 2015, 07:06 AM

Ah, I envy people arriving in Venice for the first time and walking out of the train station to that panorama of the Grand Canal. One of my best travel memories. Though flying in over Venice and seeing the city from the air was pretty good too.
Mar 13th, 2015, 08:14 AM
DRJ

I'd spend all four nights in Venice and do Verona as a day trip. I had a week in Verona a few months ago. A couple of days could have been enough.
Mar 13th, 2015, 09:30 AM

I agree with DJR. Verona is nice---Venice is special.