Notices

Venice with Children

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:26 PM
Ingrid

Venice with Children

We'll be in Venice in July for two days. Any suggestions what to do with a 9- and an 11-year old? They have a limited interest in museums. Is there a tour of dungeons, or similar? Is Murano interesting? We'll probably spend some time on the Lido, too.
Also, any recomemndations for good casual restaurants?

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Deborah

You might want to take them to the Doges Palace. Toward the end of the tour is a museum of artillery, including suits of armor, battle weapons (gruesome looking things!), chastity belts, everything imaginable. It is very well displayed and interesting, and I think kids this age would like it very much. Another recommendation--go up in the belltower. Kids love the view from the top. Lots of pigeon-watching in San Marco plaza. There are lots of little shops on Rialto Bridge that kids might like looking through. I think they will find plenty to enjoy in Venice. It's a great city.

Deborah

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Paulo

Don't worry about the kids. They'll love to walk around, along canals, over bridges, to ride the vaporetto and a gondola if you feel like spending some.

Among Venice's sites, they'll love the Dodges Palace, but you shouldn't cut the visit short. Do go see the dungeons and cross the bridge of Sighs. Kids also love the Museo Storico Navale, climbing the St. Mark's campanile and going up to the Loggia del Cavalli when visiting the Basilica. In Murano, kids love to watch glass being blown (though the furnaces will add to July's very hot temperature. I'd skip the Lido altogether. With only two days, what are your intentions? Leading your kids to the beach?

Paulo

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 04:26 AM
elaine

Hi Ingrid
there are places to have picnics.
The Doge's Palace has a "Secret Itinerary" tour, reservations required, which include a special visit to the prisons.
Take vaporetto and traghetto rides. The latter are retired gondolas that are now used to cross the major canals at a few points. It's only a 3 minute ride, but inexpensive, and unique.
Murano is interesting regarding the glass blowing, but it is not particularly picturesque imo. Burano is known for lace, which is not necessarily interesting to the kids (it might be), but Burano is pretty and colorful.

Amazon also has a couple of books specifically oriented toward visiting
Venice with children that you might want to look into.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Ingrid

Great advice, thanks a lot.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:22 AM
jo

Vendela in Venice

I have heard that this book is terrific reading for kids around the ages that your's are going to Venice.

Here is a website that reviewed the book
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/..._culture/62317

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:22 AM
m

we were there in march with kids the same ages. They loved venice, just walking around. we were there for 3 days. We did go to Doges palace and rented the audio tour. The stories and information on the audio are quite interesting. They really like just exploring, checking different neighborhoods, and eating. We went to murano and after asking several people found a small store (not large factory) that had some glass blowing going on. 1 man was making little horses and another 2 were working on an ellaborate chandelier. It was very interesting just to watch them at work. After being on planes for all night and being exhausted, we took a water taxi from the venice airport to our hotel. Everyone perked up. Honestly in 2 days there's not much time for the Lido. In our 3 days we couldn't even do everything we wanted to.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:33 AM
Dave Collins

I second the Doges Palace recommend. I stumbled in there almost by accident and would have been sorry to miss that - it has dungeons and many other treasures.
Also a trip to Bureno on the water taxi might interest the young people.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Heather

Was just in Venice last week and all of the kids I saw looked entertained and happy wherever they were. I'm sorry to not know the exact title, but saw a book titled something like "Venice for Kids (or Children)". Leafed through it and it offered great stories and pictures.

Also, at the Etruscan exhibit in the Palazzo Grassi, there were dozens of school children really enjoying the tour. I thought it was wonderful, too. Not sure that they would go wild over Murano, but Burano and Torcello might be more interesting to them.

Also, they should love the vaporetto rides going around the Grand Canal. A seat outside allows great views and a nice breeze.

Went to a nice casual restaurant by the Fondamenta Nuova (sp?) vaporetto stop for Murano, San Michele, Burano, etc. I can't recall the name, but the owner was terrific, the food good (and reasonable with lots of yummy pizzas), and a nice wind off the sea. Very relaxing and not crowded at all.

I second (or third) the secret tour of the Doges Palace. Been to Venice three times and visited here each time.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Ingrid

How do we arrange for the "secret" tour? It sounds great!
Thanks for all the wonderful advice!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Jean

Ingrid,
We were in Venice last week, but only for 24 hours. We wish we had planned a longer stay there, as we all loved it! My children (ages 13 & 8) were by far more entertained with Venice than with Rome or Florence. They loved the gondola ride (touristy, I know, but we WERE tourists!). If we had more time, we would have taken them on a tour of an old prison there (we passed it while on the gondola & our gondolier told us a little about it).
Have a great time!

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 04:39 AM
elaine

The Secret Itinerary is offered in English daily I think, at 10:30 am.
Reservations are required. Your hotel can book it for you, or you can go to
the Doge's Palace ticket office when you arrive and book it for later.