Venice: Which Best Western

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Venice for 3 nights. I found great prices for the Best Western Ala and the Best Western Bisanzio. Which is a better choice?<BR><BR>My gut feeling is Ala, since we are choosing the least expensive room, I'm assuming the room will be larger and renovated at the Ala, but not at the Bisanzio.<BR><BR>Thoughts?<BR>Inor
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:42 PM

Hi there is another west Western in Venice, it is Dodge and Cavaletto, we stayed there March 16 to 18, and it was really nice and close to Saint Mark square.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:55 PM

Why would you stay at a Best Western? The most ideal experience would be to stay in an Italian hotel while in Italy! That is really the only way to truly experience a country - why duplicate America over there? Venezia is such a unique city, I am sad to learn that there are even Best Western hotels there! Alas...
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 04:02 PM

The Ala is about as Italian as you can get, it may be owned by Best Western from afar, but you would never know it.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 04:05 PM

I only have knowledge of Hotel Ala, as I stayed there 2 years ago, and plan another 3 nights the end of next week. What better recommendation can I give? It has only recently been affiliated with Best Western. It is very convenient to the Main Canal, and St Marks Square. All the rooms have been completely redone, saving some architectural features. The outside looks kind of blah, but the inside is great. Also very helpful and friendly staff. Some of the rooms overlood a small canal that has some entertaining traffic. I booked directly with the hotel, as I feel that I can better obtain a &quot;room with a view&quot;<BR>The website for Ala is http://www.hotelala.it/<BR>
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 05:37 PM
rex

I have seen a number of Best Western hotels (maybe affilates is the right word?) in Europe, and stayed in one or two, and I have never seen one that looked &quot;Americanized&quot;.<BR><BR>The Ala seems to be am excellent hotel, though I have only ever walked through its lobby. They irritated me in 1998, when they refused my reservation - - said they didn't want &quot;any groups&quot; (we were two adults and nine teenagers). I cite this as a reason to admire the hotel - - in some people's book.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 06:55 PM

The Ala is my favorite location in Venice--Santa Maria del Giglio.<BR>FYI, the Best Western affiliation for Europe hotels is merely a marketing tool. They have a great res system.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 07:19 PM

i will repeat what is said just above...best western hotels in europe are all individually owned hotels that use the BW to attract reservations and probably some other co-operative buying or advertising....each is unique<BR><BR>most are 2, 3 or 4 star hotels and all have their own unique charm.... they are anything but americanized....
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 09:08 PM

Another vote for Best Western in Europe. They are very individual, often historic hotels. Yet you get a certain standard, good service and directions, and you can become a gold card member for benefits.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 10:50 PM

<BR>Another vote for Best Western hotels in Europe. In general, you know what you get. Nothing to do with BWs in the US.<BR>Usually, smaller individually run hotels which use the worldwide reservation system of BW.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 12:14 AM

Between Ala and Bizanzio, I would take Ala. <BR><BR>I stayed at Bizanzio 2 years ago. I liked the location near Riva Schiavone(sp ?).The first room they gave us was rather small and dark. We paid a supplement and changed to a larger room with a large bathroom and a small balcony. Breakfast buffet was quite basic. Staff was helpful and we were happy with our stay. However, I would not go back there as I know now there many other better hotels, quality-pricewise. <BR><BR>I have passed many times in front of Ala and it looked nice. Location seems great too. Also I read on this board some people say breakfast there was great. Last two times I stayed at Pensione Accademia which is one of the sister hotels of Ala but not Best Western. A really wonderful hotel with a wonderful breakfast for the price<BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:35 AM

Don't be put off by the Best Western designation, that's only their marketing and purchasing affiliation.<BR>In Europe the chains of hotels don't mean that you are giving up charm or great location or authentic local atmosphere because very very seldom are these hotels new construction, they are almost always just new designations for existing buildings.<BR>The Minerva Hotel in Rome was until recently a &quot;Crowne Plaza&quot; (Holiday Inn chain.) When it dropped that affiliation it didn't suddenly become more authentically Roman.<BR><BR>I vote for the Ala just based on location, have not stayed at those hotels. My info indicates that some bathrooms have a shower or tub but not necessarily both, and a few rooms have balconies.<BR><BR>At the Bisanzio I understand it is best to request a quiet room.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:41 AM

My husband and I stayed at Bisanzio a few years ago and found it nothing special: small room, dark. I'd look elsewhere.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 05:52 AM

sglw meant the DOGE (not Dodge) &amp; Cavelleto. Check it out on rants &amp; raves. You can do a text search here on each of these hotels by typing in ala AND venice etc. The location of the Ala can't be beat if you want to be centrally located.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 06:05 AM

There is also the BW Monte Carlo which is very close to Piazza San Marco. We stayed there 3 years ago and are staying again in July! Nice rooms, good A/C and large bathrooms. No view to speak of.
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 02:45 PM
pam320

I stayed across from the Ala in November. It's a charming, older building with a nice lobby. I have no idea what the rooms are like. The location is great -- close to San Marco but away from the worst of the crowds. If you stay there, be sure to walk in the other direction from San Marco toward Campo San Stefano.