venice transportation question

Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venice transportation question

We rented an apt. in Venice, right by the S. silvestro ACTV stop. We need to get to the Stazione Marritima to pick up our cruise ship, is it possible to do by ACTV, and if so what is the route?
If not, what are my options?
thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM

Yes. Take vaporetto #1 from San Silvestro to Ferrovia, then switch to #82 vaporetto to San Basilio, which is where the cruise ships dock. If you know the area well, you can also walk to the cruise ship docks from Piazzale Roma, but I would prefer to take the #82.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks!
i've enjoyed reading your trip reports of venice, and will visit some of the restaurants you recommended.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:19 PM

Have a great time, dperry, and have a "spritz" on me (but remember, drink your spritz with Aperol -the orange colored bitter, DON'T drink that Campari stuff- the red color comes from ground up insects, and if you have allergies (like I do) it can cause allergic reactions-my upper arms were covered in a rash after two days of drinking spritz with Campari-not good!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

another great tip, thanks!!
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:16 AM

San Basilio is one of three terminals used by cruise ships in Venezia. It is used by smaller ships.
The Stazione Marittima used by most of the bigger cruise ships is not directly served by ACTV, though Alilaguna has a service there (www.alilaguna.it). It can by reached on land from Piazzale Roma by taxi (a car not a boat).
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:18 AM

hello from veniceword.com, based in venice. i agree with the last post, if the cruise ship is a big one you cannot reach the dock with a simple vaporetto... check with you travel agent: or take a taxi from piazzale roma, it's safer (and not expensive).
enjoy! ciao, waiting for your feedback. you may also wish to visit our blog http://blog.buongiornovenezia.com

Old May 4th, 2007, 05:07 AM

Dperry-it's true if you are on one of the larger cruise lines, they will not dock at Basilio, so you do need to find that out first. If it is the Stazione that is for the larger cruise ships, you just hop on the #1 vaporetto (no need to change to #82) and take it right up to Piazzale Roma, and then you have a few options: if you don't have much luggage, and you like to walk, you can walk from Pze. Roma to the Stazione Maritima, which is about 10-15 minutes.

But I forgot, you can take a land-based bus or taxi which runs from Piazzale Roma to the Stazione, which will get you to the Stazione in a few minutes. Just buy a ticket there at the Pze. Roma ticket office (there will be signs) for the bus that goes to the Stazione, OR take a land-based taxi, which will get you there in a couple of minutes.