Search

Venice Transportation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2004, 03:02 PM
sce
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Transportation

Hi - we will be off to Venice for the week of Nov 19-26. Plan on taking a water taxi since this is our first trip to Venice. A couple questions:
-anyone stayed at the Hotel Foscari Palace?-what did you think of it?
-what is the closest stop for a water taxi or Vaporetta to the Hotel?
-can we but a carnay of Vaporetta tickets/or a number of days with unlimited travel? Where to purchase
-one last question-is there a museum pass?and do we need to make advanced reservations for the big museums-we have in florence before and it was well worth the effort.
THANKS ever so much for any and all help

sandy
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 04:03 PM

sce, I just spent htree nights in Venice earlier this month. I can't wait to return for a longer visit! I stayed at Ca'Gottardi so I can't comment about the hotel but check to see if it's on the www.veniceby.com sight. If it is, you can rely on the pictures and info given. You've got alot of questions that all have various answers - there are museum passes, vaporetto passes, the Venice Pass (good for 1,3,5 days). You need to do some reasearch and you have some time before you leave, so I'll give you a few websites that are FULL of useful infomation:
http://www.europeforvisitors.com/ven...dex_venice.htm www.venicescapes.org/links.htm
www.actv.it/eng/home.php#
These sights have all the info you seek and maps.The last one is the vaporetto timetables. You may want to sign up for the free weekly e-mail newsletter at www.veniceworld.com - in the left column,under New is Newsletter (just click on this and sign up). The newsletter is alot of fun and always has the concert and art/museum exhibits listed. Have a great time!
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 05:09 PM

Sandy,
We will be in Venice from 15th - 26th of November, too!!!
Hotel Foscari Palace has terrific reviews on Tripadvisor.com. The nearest vaporetto stop is Ca'D'Oro.
I usually buy the 72 hour vaporetto pass...22 euros. Purchase at the vaporetto stop.
I've used the water taxi's but I find the view from inside limited. So I prefer the vaporetto.
I've been to Venice many times...if you have any other questions and /or would like to get together for a drink....feel free to e-mail:
[email protected]

ps....you're gonna love it!!!!!

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:07 AM
Cassandra

Margaretlb, if you are still around, can you comment on the Ca Gottardi?

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:17 AM

SCE - now that you've been to Venice, could you answer your own two questions for me (and the rest of us who might be interested in the hotel)? Thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:14 PM

Sigh... I didn't see the date on the original post.

sce- I hope your trip was great!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Really, I'm not crazy (although my last post might make you think so). It looks like I posted about travel cards, but it doesn't show on the main thread. Hmmmm... Doesn't matter anyway since sce has come and gone!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
sce
Original Poster

Hi,
We had a wonderful week in Venice-great weather and short lines! I can't say enough about the Foscari Palace Hotel!!! The staff is professional and courteous and always eager to help. The rooms are absolutely wonderful and GREAT bathrooms with marble, large vanity, tub, heated towel rack. Fresh fruit in the room daily and a wonderful breakfast buffet with eggs every morning. Right on the Grand Canal-just opened about 6 months ago. I found the best price on venere.com. Right at Ca"Dor stop.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:52 AM
ira

t
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:18 AM

Regarding the water taxi, the drivers know the closest little canal to all the hotels.

We had the most wonderful ride arriving on a water taxi. The day was lovely, and the driver opened the top window, so we were able to stand up and take videos and photos of our arrival. Very emotional...since this was our first visit to Venice.

Expensive but, in my opinion, worth every Euro.