HOW MUCH TIME NEEDED IN VENICE?

Mar 8th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

HOW MUCH TIME NEEDED IN VENICE?

WE WILL BE ARRIVING BY TRAIN TO VENICE ON A SAT. AFTERNOON, AND DEPARTING HOME TO THE USA ON A TUESDAY MORNING.

IS 2 1/2 DAYS ENOUGH IN VENICE? WE ARE NOT BIG MUSEUM/ART PEOPLE SO WE WANT TO GO TO BURANO/MURANO, SEE THE CHURCHES THERE AND JUST DO TOURISTY THINGS.

Mar 8th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Yes. You can never see everything, but Venice is very compact and you can coer a lot of territory. You may only be able to do either Burano or Murano. Doing both would take away too much time from venice itself.
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Purchase a three day vaporetto pass when you arrive. It can also be used for Burano and Murano. The two islands are close to each other and one ferry goes to both so you can decide when you're at either one if you want to continue on to the other, or return to Venice. Be sure to take the vaporetto all along the Grand Canal for a wonderful introduction to Venice and a great do it yourself tour.
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:05 AM

And PLEASE DO NOT YELL at us by using all CAPs.
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:10 AM
ira

Hi N,

If you could stay a week in Venice, it would be better. 2.5 days is OK.

Enjoy your visit.

Unless you are handicapped, please do not type in all caps as it is more difficult to read than standard print.
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:12 AM

We spent three days in Venice and felt that was just right. (although you can easily spend a week there!) I think you can see a lot in 2 days, if you're efficient. It's just neat to walk around the city, pop into a couple of churches and have a couple of good meals.
Mar 8th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about the capital letters. I didn't realize it is yelling.

Anyhow, if we have a choice would you visit Burano or Murano? I know one is for glass and the other for lace.
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:53 PM

HOw long have you got? I think 3 days would be a good intro and fall is a great time to go.
As for the choice of Murano or Burano; well Murano is about glass and the factories there. Burano is about lace-making and wonderfully brightly painted houses. I like the feel of Burano, but hey, I love Torcello-and it's a tiny island further out that's nearly deserted.
But as someone has said, concentrate this time on the mainland--you'll probably be back (I just came back from my 9th trip in 12 years)and can check out the islands then.

It's the ultimate strolling town--get lost, have an ombra, stop in a church, a shop, take the #1 vaporetto and make every stop on the canal. You'll find the time disappears. Awesome.
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:02 PM

I think Torcello is the queen of the Lagoon islands. I've never been to Murano because I was turned off by the thought of what I heard was a lot of hard sell directed at tourists to buy glass -- but maybe I was misinformed.

I was rather disappointed in Burano. I think it's enough to see it from the boat to Torcello. You'll get the idea.

There are one or two restaurants on Torcello -- one expensive, one not so expensive. If you want to eat at either of them, ask your hotel to make a reservation. But just as nice is to make a picnic with a bottle of wine.

Enjoy your time in Venice and don't worry about seeing anything that what you would like to see. Do what you want.
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:45 PM

I love Burano. It's awesome.

and yes, FYI, using all caps is considered the height of rudeness in forums or instant messaging. Unless you are trying to make a point, it comes off as very combative.

Mar 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM

I think a week is too short for Venice, so 2 1/2 days is way too short. But it is better than nothing! I would stick with just walking around Venice and skip Burano and Murano on this trip.
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM
ira

Hi N,

Unless you absolutely have to watch glass blowers at work, I would skip Murano.

With only 2.5 days in Venice, I would stay in town and leave Burano and Torcello for another visit.

You can always get on a vaporetto if you feel the need to visit an island.

See http://www.actv.it/

Mar 9th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Of course, 2 and a half days are quite nothing for Venice, where even 2 months and a half are by no means sufficient for seeing everything. But as the others have already told you, better than noting, and if you not so keen to visit art & museums, you'll get a first impression at least. I agree, however, to spare the islands for your next visit.
Further, I absolutely agree that Torcello is the queen of the laguna. Burano is fairly pretty and nice - off season! During season, it's hell.
And Murano, just fyi, is not the first place to visit in and around Venice. However, it's NOT very touristy, but that's maybe the only point to Murano's favor. Yes, there are the odd glass blowing shops, all besides the main vaporetto station - go three steps further, and you are on a grey, hard-working, somehow industrial island that is not at all charming.
And as for churches, nadoosh, if you want to visit churches, you'd better stick to Venice (or, of course, Torcello!!). The churches of Burano and Murano are disappointing, with the only possible exception of SS. Maria e Donato in Murano.