Venice train station

Search

Venice train station

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice train station

I found this quote regarding St. Lucia on a website. I don't understand what is meant by baggage rooms, nor do I understand left luggage/storage. Anyone have a better explanation?

"The Santa Lucia railway station may be modern, but its layout isn't particularly efficient. You may need to wander around to find what you're looking for. For example, there are two baggage rooms: one for left luggage (storage), and the other for checking bags to your destination. To make matters more confusing, the main baggage room may handle left luggage during the off-season. You may also be asked to use a ?subsidiary cloakroom? for knapsacks and large bags."
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:30 PM

My god, sweetie, haven't you ever been in a train station before? Where do you live, Mayberry RFD? When people are between destinations, they leave their luggage in a storage room if they want to wander around during their layover. Get it? If you are in Venice, on your way to Florence, but your train doesn't leave for another 3 hours, you can check your luggage in a storage room and walk around the city until it is time for you to board the train.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Pretty condescending. If I'd known what it meant, trust me I'd not have asked the question. You did provide the answer, so thanks. The smart assedness is just an unwelcome bonus.
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:54 PM

Darling, that is just my way. I was not trying to be a patronizing twit. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa.
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:06 AM

thingorjus: oh dear, oh dear

mdtravel: The website may be a little dated, as nowadays the railway services will not check bags to their destination.

[email protected]
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:28 AM

Actually, "left luggage" is not a term used in the US. More a Brit thing, I believe. But, the short term storage concept is an old one on both sides of the Atlantic. My question would be how many of those convenient options remain in light of new global security measures? And, is extra time needed to check them---are they searched? I frequently used the Victoria Station one pre-9/11, but not since. Thanks, Ben for the info on the demise of checking bags to a destination.