COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

luggage storage in Padua

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

luggage storage in Padua

It looks like the availability of luggage storage varies greatly from place to place.

I am considering stopping for a few hours in Padua while traveling from Venice to Florence. I'd like to ditch the rolling luggage somewhere and sightsee unemcumbered.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can leave the bags?

Thank you.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 08:54 PM

There should be a left luggage office next to the train station. I used it when I was there last September. I was doing the reverse of you did and went from Florence to Venice.

If you're leaving Padua late, then there can be a problem as I think the office closes sometime in the evening.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply, 111op, looks like my plan might not work. I'll be there in November and if the place closes early in Sept it might close even earlier in November.

I guess I will go to Padua as a day trip out of Venice, returning to the hotel in Venice at the end of the visit. Which was plan A, anyway, I was just looking for efficiencies.

This board is like magic!
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM

Your plan A is of course quite doable since the train ride between the two should be about half an hour, and train service is frequent.

I can't recall when the luggage office closed, but I picked up my bag around 7:30 because I knew that it would be closed by the time I was done with dinner. I'd imagine it closed around 9 pm. This was probably on the Saturday before Labor Day, by the way.

Anyway, have a great time!

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you 111, I was hoping I could check out of Venice, train to Padua, stash the luggage, sightsee all day, retrieve luggage, and get a train to Florence.

But maybe I am making this trip unnecessarily complicated.

Probably better to use one of my Venice days to do a trip to Padua and back. I'll get the Venice time back on my departure day by taking a late train out.

It really helps to think these things through with the info from the fodorites!

OO
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 06:34 PM

Hi olive_oil, I hope you enjoy Padua as much as I do!! From what you have said doing a daytrip from Venice seems to me the way to arrange it. Enjoy!!
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the vote of confidence! My sister has a super-demanding job so she is trusting me to do all the planning. I don't think she realizes how much fun she is missing. It is complicated but very interesting.

OO
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Before you abandon your original idea, try emailing Trenitalia and asking when the baggage deposit closes on the day you're contemplating. Their email address is: [email protected].

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I'm no expert but Padua is not that far (I have budget-minded friends who stay there instead of basing in Venice and go in every day on the train). Point being, a day trip while you are still checked in to a Venice hotel, would be a breeze.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Suze, I am feeling pretty good about it and it looks like it will work.

Jean, I took your suggestion and sent an email to trenitalia--I'll let you all know what they write back.

LoveItaly, sounds like you know Padua pretty well. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Olive_Oil