Venice to Rovinj

Search

Venice to Rovinj

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice to Rovinj

My husband and I have now decided that instead of heading North from Venice in late September we will go to Croatia for 6 nights, back to Italy (Asolo ) for a week and then back to Venice. Our trip looks like this: 10 days Venice, 6 days Croatia, 1 week Asolo, and back to Venice for 2 weeks where we will meet up w//friends.

Question: as the hydrofoil leaves Venice for Rovinj in the late afternoon and, as it's fall and we will arrive after dark we thought that taking the bus from Venice would be more interesting . There is a direct bus which might make it an easier trip - with luggage - than taking a train to Trieste and transferring to a bus to Rovinj . If any of you out there have done this Venice - Rovinj RT I'd be interested in any advise. We also would like a guide to take us on an inland tour one of the days we are there. We have made hotel reservations for our 6 nights in Rovinj but now need help with the rest of our time there.

Thank you..
Giannetta
Old May 27th, 2013, 01:27 PM

The bus and train stations in Trieste are only a few minutes apart, so for comfort I think you should take the train from Venice.
You can easily find a day trip from any number of the agencies in Rovinj, would you consider hiring a car for some or all of you time?
Old May 27th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we would consider renting.a car. In fact I'm wondering if we could rent a car to get ourselves back to Trieste..or just keep the car and drive on to Asolo from Rovinj on 10/3. Do you know if it's possible to rent cars in Croatia and take them into Italy and....leave them in Italy?
I'm having trouble as the ferry leaves Rovinj @ 7:00 AM. That early a departure would not be comfortable for us !

Thanks for help,
Giannetta
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:01 PM

I think you will find that renting a car in one country and dropping it off in another would turn out to be very expensive but probably can be done.
You will just have to check the agencies because they do not all have the same rules.
We rented from Unirent in Croatia and were happy with the service.
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Sher..
I'll check with Unirent ....maybe we can even leave it at the border, take a bus to Trieste and carry on..renting our car in Trieste.
Old May 27th, 2013, 02:27 PM

Car drop off in another country is not a viable option. Ideally you should hire a car in Venice and return it there, letting them know hat you require a green card for crossing borders.Try www.auto-europe.com
Old May 29th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Kevina. I am now researching the car rental from Venice to Rovinj to Asolo and back to Venice. It's clearly the best option. Also, will rent from AP...if it's not more costly than Pzl Roma and take Alilaguna to connecting vaparetto stops.... It's coming together! Yes...GREEN CARD!
Old May 30th, 2013, 02:19 AM

Excellent choice, for the cost of a car with Guide in Istria, you can hire a car for your whole trip.