Venice, Croatia & Slovenia

Apr 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Venice, Croatia & Slovenia

I am working on a rough draft for this vaca next year. 16 days.

Thinking doing FF to Venice and traveling immediately to Croatia. (Lose full day and a half there) Island hopping and Dubrovnik for say... 6 days. Then renting a car in Zadar and driving through Croatia and to Slovenia for another 5 days. Ending in Venice where we stay for a few days before we leave.

Logisics:

Is there a way we can rent a car in Dubrovnik and leave in Slovenia or Italy??
Or is it cost prohibitive? Thinking we'd take train from Slovenia to Venice...

It doesnt seem I can do USairways to Croatia or Slovenia (Hence the Venice detour)..

Never been to ANY of these places... any criticism welcomed..
Apr 26th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Crosbie,

Renting a car in Italy will be very expensive. Also, a car in Venice is useless as there are no streets

I would suggest you land in Venice and hang out for a day or two. Then get transport, via train, plane, ferry, or private driver to Croatia. Once in Croatia, you should rent a car.

Spend time in Croatia, drive to Slovenia and back to Croatia and then drop the car off and make your way back to Venice.

A few points...

1) In many places in Croatia a car is useless too. It is not needed on the islands and, I would say, in all of southern Croatia (below Split).

2) If you are going in spring/summer, you can take overnight ferries from Italy to Croatia. I believe this would be best for you.

3) Assuming the above, you can fly into Venice, take the ferry to Croatia, island hop, etc., and make you way up to Trogir or Split by bus. Once there, rent a car and drive into Slovenia. Drive back to Trogir/Split and then catch the ferry back to Italy.

4) You can click on my screen name and see a detailed trip report for Croatia and Slovenia. It might give you some ideas.

Have fun...that is a beautiful place of the world.
Apr 26th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Funny you write !

Yesterday I looked at your trip report and went on to view your pics. Based my plans on info you gave.

That is exactly the info I was hoping for. The ferry- I didnt know it existed.

I was thinking the car on Croatia because we are thinking of camping and it seems they lean towards car camping- (I try to do 1/3 our trip cheapo hotel, 1/3 moderate, and the third a slurge).

Your idea abut he ferry, etc.. is perfect except maybe from Split or Zadar head north with car-- drive Coatia and Slovenia and drop in maybe Zagreb and take train back to Venice from Zagreb??

Assuming we can rent car in Zadar and reurn to Zagreb. (I only pick Zadar because it looks big on my map and
seems a good location to move forward from...)
Apr 26th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Gotcha....in that case (camping) what you said makes sense about the car. I thought you wanted Dubrovnik and the islands only...if you are going inland (e.g., to the national park), a car will help. You *can* take the bus, but a car will be more convienent.

The ferries leave from several places in Italy. There used to be a hydrofoil leaving from Vencie. You can find out about the ferries at the following site. It will also tell you about the island hopping:

http://www.jadrolinija.hr/

Again, have fun. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any specific questions.

Kevin
Apr 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Careful when returning a car to Zagreb airport. I know of folks who have missed flights because of the inefficiencies of the car return there. A family friend once had to slip an employee $50 to get the return going - I forget the details, but the story was from a credible source.
Apr 26th, 2006, 10:25 AM
LLC

Were you trying to use USairways FF miles to Croatia or Slovenia? No need to go to Venice. You can fly into both Slovenia and Croatia on one of their partners (connecting through major European cities). Picking up and returning the car in the same country is much cheaper.
Apr 27th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

ahh-- thanks. I wondered. The rep I got from US Air was not very helpful...
thanks- I'll try a different rep.
Apr 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM
LLC

crosbie - tell them to check partners Adria Air and Croatia Airlines. If you get a bad rep, hang up and call back. Good luck!
May 7th, 2006, 02:46 AM

My new favorite route to Slovenia is fly to Gatwick and then, hop the Adria flight at 9:45 direct to Ljubljana. It is usually cost efficient and the times line up perfectly for flights coming in from the US. You will need to book the Adria flight separately but they have some fairly cheap flights. Last time, this leg (RT) cost us $150.

Rent a car in Ljubljana and take it from there. No problems driving it into Croatia and you can do a combo of driving and car ferries. You will want to hit some of the islands, Dubrovnik, and Plivitce (at least).
In Slovenia, you will want to see Ljubljana, Bled, Postojan, Piran and if you like outdoorsy stuff, the Soca River Valley and Logarska Dolina. One of the best restaurant in Slovenia is at Hisa Franka. A young Slovene chef who has trained in Italy. He is quite inventive and talented. This restaurant stands up to anything I have had in Europe,including the Michelin starred restaurants. They also have rooms for about 90 euros/night.

Good lucK!
Jan
May 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Syl

SloJan,
Where's the Hisa Franka Restaurant in Slovenia ? Any other recommendations for rest'ts? As per car rental, we're p/u in Ljubljana & returning it in Dubrovnik.
May 8th, 2006, 04:12 AM

Hisa Franko is a small hotel and restaurant in Kobarid in the Soca River Valley. This is one of our favorite areas in Slovenia. Beautiful lush mountain scenery, tons of activites to do (sportswise and history wise) and a gorgeous, clean river. It is separated from the wine area, Goriska Brda with a mountain range.

Other recs are:
1) Topolino in Bled
2) Lectar in Radovljica (spelling is wonky but it is right next to Bled)
3) Skarucna--a new find. This is a slow food restaurant highlighting Slovene Farm food. It is not a good choice for vegetarians or non pork eaters. Plan to spend about 4 hours and take a taxi home. It is located in the village of Skarucna, which is about 10 k North of Ljubljana.
4) Zemono - in the town of the same name (I think) it is near Ajdovscina, jsut off the hwy.
5) In Ljubljana, Aska and Volker...food can be very good or mediocre, but the wine list is excellent.
6) Spajza, Gostilna As, Pri Florianu and Pri Vitezu are all in LJ and about the same quality. Good food but won't win any awards.
Cheers,
Jan
May 8th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Syl

Thanks, SloJan,
You're so helpful.