Venice to Rome: Air or train?

Mar 16th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Venice to Rome: Air or train?

I'm debating between train or plane for going from Venice to Rome. Money is not an issue because the difference is really minimal.

Air 62 euros, 1 hour flight
Train 55 euros, 4 and a half hr ride

The question is, is the train ride through the Italy countryside so beautiful that makes the train ride worth it?

What's easier in Venice getting to the train station in Mestre or to the airport?

I'm staying at Hotel Da Bruno which is between the Rialto bridge and Piazza San Marco.

Thanks for your input!
Mar 16th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Train ride is not dramatically scenic but more scenic than the airplane as it goes thru the signature Italian countryside.

Even time-wise train can be better or at least more convenient.

Venice- Polo airport 1 hour; check-in 1 hour; flight 1 hour; rome airport baggage retreival ? hr, train into Rome 1 hr = 5 hours or more perhaps.

Trains leave Venice's Santa Lucia train station right near the Grande Canale though some services only serve Mestre station just across the lagoon - frequent shuttle trains go there from Santa Lucia station.

www.trenitalia.com for tickets - online only specials which albeit are often exhausted when they come online 60 days i think before.

I'd take the train city centre- city centre. Eurostar trains are ultra-modern. If money is no issue go 1st class for a very plush ride.
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:27 AM

I would take the train also. If you fly you still have to get into downtown Rome.
Sit on the train, write out a couple of postcards, read your guidebook a little, go to the refreshment car and get a bite and something to drink, and you'll be there.

[email protected]
Mar 16th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ & 2Italy, thank you for your responses.

It is sooo easy to plan a trip with all the tips and advice you can find in this site!!
Mar 16th, 2007, 09:41 AM

One other option is to take the night train that leaves Santa Lucia around midnight. Two tickets including reservation for a double sleeper will probably cost less than what you will pay for 1 night in a hotel in either Venice or Rome. This way you can have a full day in either Venice or Rome and not waste 5+ hrs of daylight getting to and from airports or on a long train ride. Plus you will save a night's hotel costs. This is what I would do, but I don't mind night trains and always sleep well on them.
Mar 16th, 2007, 10:00 AM

hi, versus,

I too would take the train - foreign train travel always makes me think of the orient express, hercule poirot, etc, though I recognise that this is an over-romantised view.

as for the night train, what time or year are you travelling? - not sure I'd fancy arriving at Termini station in the cold and dark of a february morning, but it could be wonderful in june! and the hotel might be a bit surprised to see you then too.

regards, ann
Mar 16th, 2007, 11:57 AM

The flight really isn;t any faster when you include time to and fro the airports, security, advance check-in etc - versus just arriving at the station and getting on the train.

I would never consider flying.
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

I took an ovenight train once from Barcelona to Paris and it was just fine. I actually took it at night as I knew I would sleep there and that way did not take any time away from either city.

I just checked on Trenitalia and from Venezia to Roma, there is not an ES train available with the overnight schedule.

There is a schedule available on a KN train, is this a nice train, is it as comfortable as the ES trains?
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM

It's unanimous. We took the train from Rome to Venice in September 2004. Very nice ride on a beautiful Eurostar train. It was nice to have a little relaxation after the hustle and bustle of Rome. We took a ten minute cab ride from our central Rome hotel to the train station, and walked from the Venice train station to our central Venice hotel. Can't be beat.

You *might* be able to get there in the same *total* time on a plane, but it would not be relaxing.
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me how far in advance do yu have to be at the train station if you prepurchase your train ticket?

Do you always have to stamp your ticket in the "yellow machines" (I've read about this on this forum? What happens if you forget? Are these stamping machines easy to spot?
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that this will for 5-6 April. I should be arriving in
Rome on the 6th to meet with a friend from NY.
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:14 PM

I am not sure what a KN train is, but the only real night option is the ICN (InterCityNight - Sleepers, Couchettes or cl.2 seats only) leaving Santa Lucia at 12:04 PM and arriving at Rome Tiburtina at about 7AM.

You can likely store your luggage at your hotel in Venice from when you check out until you depart. When you get to Rome, you can probably drop off your luggage at your hotel, though I would let them know ahead of time that you will be arriving that early and make sure it is ok to leave your luggage there. I've never been turned down, but if for any reason they won't do it (unlikely) you can easily stash your bags at the train station until you are ready to check in.
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I can't remember if you have to stamp ES tickets, but you do all others. I tend to just go ahead and stamp everything like a fool (caution, not tickets for other journeys on different days).

Also, I like to get to the train station about 20 minutes early, more if it's a big, confusing station and/or I still have to pick up my tickets. The Venice station isn't particularly confusing, though. No place for the trains to go except back out. If you're nervous, set out early and then have a drink somewhere nearby when you discover you've allotted yourself far too much time.

Enjoy your trip! You'll be in Rome for Easter. That should be something.
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Well I went back to Trenitalia's website and just realized that the so called "KN" train is not other than the ICN (my eyesight is deteriorating quite fast and I haven't even reached 40!! LOL

The 12:04 is available and gets to Rome at 6:52 am. That would save me a night hotel in Venice, 120 euros.

Thank you all for your help!!
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

How far is Tiburtina from Trastevere neighborhood?
Mar 16th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

I'm getting a 1st class ticket on the ICN to Rome.

I wonder how many people sleep in a cbain in the ICN train.
Mar 16th, 2007, 01:41 PM

It depends on what you book. On this train in 1 Cl. you can book any of th following:

* Classic (17 cabins/car) - S1 (1 person/cabin), S2 (2 ppl/cabin), T3 (3 ppl per cabin)

* Tourist-Class (12 cabins/car) - T1, T2

* Excelsior Class (7 cabins/car with toilet, shower & sink) - regular single or double, or "matrimonial" (double bed) single or double.
Mar 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

ripit, when I choose my itinerary, the price comes up with only one choice. Are the cabin choices something that appears after you confirm payment for your ticket?
Mar 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM

When you click on the shopping cart icon, on the next page you should see a drop down box near the top next to "Farequot;. You should choose "standard" as you probably don't qualify for any of the other rates. Then choose the appropriate number of adults or children if applicable. Under "Services Preference" you should see a drop down box next to "Seat Descriptions". This is where you would choose what type of accommodation you would like. If you are traveling by yourself and you choose double (or doppio), you can be paired with a stranger, but will pay half the price of a single.
Mar 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM

How could anyone think of flying such a short distance in europe? Besides any scenery is better than looking down 14,000 feet!!!

Search this Thread