Venice, September 2009 including the Regatta Storica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just back from my second trip to Venice this year. Only a week this time, but I was with my wife, son, and daughter-in-law. We stayed in a beautiful apartment in Cannaregio. I found many of the sights I had been looking for, but there are still more to look for. This was the third Regatta Storica I have seen. I went to the Rio Arsenale before the start and got some photos of the boats from close up. I then raced to find a place to view the Regatta. I got quite a good spot near the San Marcuola landing stage, but if there is a next time I'll make sure I'm on the other side of the Grand Canal, so the sun is behind me. I've only put a few photos of the Regatta here:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/grabag...Oz2hIiCmui_aA#
Please leave a comment on the photos, if you feel so inclined.
We flew in to Treviso (Ryanair), caught a local bus to the rail station, then a train into Venice. The buses are every half hour, and the trains seem to be nearly as frequent. It took us just over an hour and a half from landing, and we had to wait nearly 25 minutes for the bus. I was only 3.35€ each, whereas the Ryanair bus is 6€ (or 10€ return) and it takes over an hour. If you follow my money-saving tip, buy your bus ticket at the airport when you arrive, and at a tobacco kiosk when you leave. The tickets cost double if you buy them on the bus. The Brek restaurant was nearby and my wife and I ate there nearly every day. I visited some of the Biennale exhibitions, but modern art is not for me. I use the buildings where the exhibits are displayed to get shots I would otherwise never get - both interior and exterior. I managed to find one of the sights I had been looking for on the last morning, but it was spoiled by scaffolding being in the way. Also after two visits to the Associazione Culturale Italo Francese at times when no one was there, I knocked on the door and was allowed in to look around the Ridotto Venier. Unfortunately, it was a bit dark inside, and the photos are a bit blurred, so I haven't put them in the album.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Bert, you have a keen eye. I was trying to look at the regatta photos, but found myself returning to "one for the gentlemen." This is just another reason why Tracy gives me "the look." Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing!

Old Sep 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Can you share a link to the apartment?
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

I didn't really want to. I wanted to keep my discovery all to myself! I didn't want to make it so popular that the owner puts her prices up. But that would be really selfish, so you can find it here:
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk
In the search box enter "tre palme" and there it is. The website does not handle money, so you deal directly with the owner, which made me a little nervous as she asks for a sizeable deposit, and she does not take credit cards (or debit cards for that matter), only cash or cheque (for the deposit).
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 11:28 AM
lyb

I was just there too for the Regata. How did you get such close ups? I got a seat in the stands, and couldn't get so close to all the boats. Wasn't the weather great? I got spoiled because then I went on to Salzburg and it was overcast and rainy. I'm now in Prague and thankfully the sun came out! But as always my beautiful Venice didn't fail me..though I looked at weather.com and Venice now seems to be getting rain as well... but somehow I think I'd deal better with it there... Great pictures!
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 11:30 AM
lyb

I just saw where you were, I went to the photos and then came to read ....ironically I stay by the Arsenale, so I could have probably seen it better from there...oh, well..live and learn, either way..it wasn't bad at all.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 12:29 PM

I don't blame you about not wanting to ruin your chances of ever staying there again . . .
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM

Great photos again, Bert. Only 175 more get ups until I can check out your discoveries.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 08:06 AM

bert- where'd you get the coffee in that last shot? We'll be back in Venice next April. My daughter would be tickled at such artwork (she is an espresso-a-holic!) She thought she had the best espresso ever in Venice and some little restaurant by the Frari church. (And she had LOTS of espresso all over Italy!)

Great pics. Thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

sarge - I gave a clue on one of the other photos in another link (if you want to find them all, click on my name and go to the topics I have started - they all (except the oldest one) link to photos I have uploaded to Google/Picasa, including a quadruple photo of coffees, all (except one) from the same place). The clue was: "The best coffee comes from Brazil." The answer was (nine lines down in case you want to solve the problem yourself)

Caffè Brasilia, Rio Terra dei Assassini, San Marco 3658. There is only one lady there who does the artwork. I don't know her name, but I did "luck out" once when she wasn't there. You'd maybe better ask before you order your coffee - it needs to be a macchiatone or a cappuccino. There's quite a bit of stuff on t'internet about art on coffee froth - try Youtube and "barista".