Venice Restaurant on Grand Canal??

Old May 11th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Restaurant on Grand Canal??

I would appreciate recommendations for a memorable dinner on the Grand Canal (our first trip to Venice in late June). We will be staying at the Westin Europa and Regina. Thanks in advance for your assistance!!
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM
rex

Well, I could be mistaken, but I think that it's an oxymoron you are seeking. That real estate - - those tables on the sidewalk - - of no less than a dozen places beside the Rialto Bridge, is surely too valuable for "fine dining". That's not to say that you can't eat a pleasant dinner or lunch there, but they serve standard fare that encompasses something between mediocrity and competency. And while you COULD sit there and drink (wines, coffees, anything you like) for hours, I guess, you'll notice a certain hustle/bustle of tables turning over.

Even an over-priced, under-fresh salad can still be a memorable meal, taking in the ambience of thr Grand Canal and the rialto Bridge - - but the dining will only be a limited part of what is memorable about it.

Maybe there are some places I don't know about which face the Grand Canal. I just can't recall hearing about any of them.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:34 PM

Some years ago we enjoyed a meal on the terrace of the restaurant at the Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal. If by "memorable" you mean the food, this didn't qualify. What I remember is the view of the Salute across the canal and the vaporettos, water taxis and gondolas going by while we ate our fish in saor and fegato alla veneziana (or whatever it was...as I said, the food wasn't the point).
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:37 PM

I agree with Rex as far as fine dining on the Grand Canal goes. We did frequent a wonderful outdoor osteria for wine and light fare quite often at a quiet spot right on the Grand Canal during our stay. We really fell in love with the place, but it wasn't exactly a place to have dinner. I'd be happy to look up the name in my trip report if you'd like.

I'm sure you can get many great suggestions for memorable dinners in other great areas of Venice that are not located directly on the Grand Canal. My personal favorite is the terrace restaurant at Hotel Cipriani on Guidecca.
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:50 AM

I would recommend a lunch along the canal, it's absolute heaven! After all, you'll be busy watching the activities on the Canal and taking it all in rather than focusing on the food. For fine dining with atmosphere, my wife and I loved Piazza San Marco. Each evening we were there, weather permitting, there were wonderful mini-orchestras playing in and around the square. We ate on the second floor of Quadri right next to the window. Expensive, but memorable!
Old May 12th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input. It is appreciated.
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:03 AM
ira

Hi Bruces,

Da Fiori is considered by many to be Venice's best restaurant.
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:25 AM

The terrace restaurant at the Gritti Palace hotel. The food was good (I had lobster risotto), but the setting was incredible. Right on the canal, with gondolas floating by, and directly across the canal from an impressive domed building (I can't remember what it was, but the architecture was beautiful). It is formal- they set the tables with robin's egg blue cloths and set a silver wine bucket on a stand next to each table (that is, each table that orders champagne or white wine). We had champagne, watched and listened to the grand canal action (including singing gondeliers!), and then took our own gondola ride from the dock right next to the restauant. It was by far the best evening we had in Venice.
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:39 AM

I second that last comment. We also had a very memorable dinner at the Gritti, arriving at the restaurant in a Gondola. I remember it as an absolutely perfect evening.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:08 AM

well,you're staying at a great hotel that has a restaurant right on the canal. don't know how good it is, however. probably decent, but pricey.

from what i hear, the cipriani has a great restaurant overlooking the lagoon/st.marks.

coachboy
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Hi
The Cipriani's outdoor restaurant Cip's overlooks the water, but the main, more formal dining room doesn't really give you a direct view.

I'm trying to recall if the Bauer hotel's restaurant has a GC view, the Europa's bar used to, but is/was undergoing renovation.

Would you settle for a table on a small canal? Da Raffaele is a 5-minute walk from the ER hotel, has very good food, and in fine weather you are sitting outdoors overlooking a small canal where gondolas do sometimes pass by.
I wouldn't call it Venice's finest cuisine, but it's very good, medium-priced (for Venice) and I've been there on each of my visits.

The Danieli hotel has a restaurant overlooking the lagoon but I've read mixed reviews on the food. The nearby Metropole hotel has a good restaurant, can't remember if that one has a view.
Quadri, mentioned above, is said to be excellent.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:26 PM

The Bauer's restaurant does look out across the Grand Canal to Santa Maria della Salute.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:46 PM

As always, Elaine has excellent suggestions. But, just to clarify, the main restaurant at Cipriani has the indoor dining room and an outdoor dining terrace right on the water (open if weather is permitting). We had our vow renewal dinner there and everything was perfect.

I've heard Cip's is a bit less formal, but also very nice, as well.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:56 PM

As CoachBoy mentioned, the terrace of your hotel (with a bar & rest.) is said to have views to swoon over. Have you checked out the website?

It is often a problem in any city to get both a great view & great food. Usualy one suffers.