Venice questions

Search

Venice questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice questions

After a bit of research, I have decided to go to Venice for a few days. I am looking at the area around Hotel Flora or Hotel Serenissma. Is it difficult to get around with a rolling suitcase? I have a bit of mobility issues with lifting my bags up stairs. I will be arriving from a train station from Milan.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 12:29 PM

I've rolled bags all over Venice - bridges are a bit of a problem having to go up small steps - get a water taxi from in front of Venice train station right to hotel area.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 12:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Those hotels look like they are in Dorsoduro? Most people would use the vaporetto (boat bus) to get from the train station, then you'd need to walk to either of those hotels from there. The smaller & lighter your bag, the easier this will be.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 01:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Te best option would be to book a hotel that has a dock and use a water taxi. Both of those hotels are nice but don't have docks. If you can carry your bag short distances though both would be OK. Wheeled luggage is fine but because of the steps and cobbles you'll probably end up having to carry it at least some. Keep to a 21 incher and under 25 lbs and you'll be fine.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 01:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Hotel Flora is near San Marxo and requires going up and downsteps/ bridges.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 01:45 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. Would you recommend a different area? I am looking for somewhere under 200-220 US.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 02:03 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Hotel Flora is very close to the hotel I stayed at 2 yrs ago. I took the Alilaguna from the airport to around San Marco. I used a 24 inch luggage with 4 wheels and it was a bit difficult but not undoable. There was one big bridge that was a bit of a struggle but I took it slow. If you don't mind being slow then who cares. You don't need to rush and people can always go around you.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
(for kelsey) If you can find a hotel nearer either the train station or a vaporetto stop, would make it easier.

See how when you look those two hotels up on the map, they are inland, further away from any water (canals)?? that's why those are going to be a bit harder to get to walking with a suitcase.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 03:09 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
We stayed at the Hotel Galleria and I cannot recommend it highly enough! Wonderful hotel with rooms opening to the Grand Canal. Steps from the Accademia Bridge. Close to the vaperetto stops (one on either side of the hotel). The Alilaguna stop (from/to the airport) is a short walk away. There is a staircase from ground level to check-in/room level, but hotel staff will bring up your bag(s). There's a small bridge on the way to one of the vaporetto stops - but no steps you have to deal with when you have luggage. Wonderful hotel. Wonderful service. Breakfast brought to your room on a silver tray. We stayed in the largest (quad) room that's the cover of their website - absolutely gorgeous! My friend returned last month and stayed in one of the smaller rooms. Simply a perfect location IMO. One stop to San Marco but restaurants/ shops surrounding the hotel. I even attended church at St. George's. The small bridge to it (and the vaperetto stop) is lovely and we chose to take a back canal gondola ride from there. Perfect hotel. Perfect location. I can't wait to return!
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 03:40 PM

The streets of Venice are covered by wheeled luggage friendly concrete tiles and not cobblestones. Bridges are not the only ones with stairs. Even if your hotel has elevators, it does not automatically mean you can get to your room without navigating stairs. The hotel staff, if available, would help you with luggage, but you still have to get your self to and from your room. In addition to choosing a hotel, reducing the luggage size and weight would help your trip at every turn.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 04:00 PM

I love Venice on a sunny day when the canals turn turquoise and the red roofs shine in the sun.

Make sure you stay as long as possible so you can experience sunny days and see Venice at its best.
It can look a bit drab and miserable in the rain with all that decay.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

I have read through many posts. I appreciate the suggestions. I have decided on Hotel Ala and perhaps, pack lighter. Can one prebook a water taxi ?
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 05:20 PM

I just got back. I can tell you first hand that Venice is not an easy place to navigate with heavy suitcases. We did it though.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by brontem
I have read through many posts. I appreciate the suggestions. I have decided on Hotel Ala and perhaps, pack lighter. Can one prebook a water taxi ?
I stayed at the Ala many years ago , but I believe the transport from the train station is still the same. Take vaporetto line 1 to stop Sta Maria del Giglio. You then walk off, thru an archway ( if memory serves me right) and get to the piazza where hotel Ala is! Very convenient! I dont think you need a water taxi. Check with the hotel to see if what I'm telling you is still the same.
I believe the water taxi would leave you right on the same place as the vaporetto
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 10:29 PM

From the Hotel Ala web site, 50 metres from the Giglio vap stop, and no bridges to cross.
So the No 1 vap down the Grand Canal makes it look pretty simple. And as noted above, the water axi would not get you nay closer than he vaporetto.
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 05:15 PM

Hotel Ala is in an excellent position for you and close to the Hotel Flora in San Marco. I think you could easily make it to either. The Hotel Flora has the advantage of a gorgeous garden for breakfast. Both are 3 to 5 minutes from Piazza San Marco.