Rolling Suitcases in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it's our first trip to Venice. Lots we don't know like - getting to our hotel is a 10 minute walk from the Vaporetti stop. Will the sidewalk surfaces be smooth enough to roll our suitcases or will we have to carry them - Ugh!!?
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM

The sidewalks will be smooth enough.

The difficult part will be getting your suitcases over the many small bridges.

Also, get VERY good directions from your hotel. Venice is a very easy city in which to get lost. ( Getting lost can be part of the adventure...but not when you are schlepping suitcases.)
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I agree with Dick. I thought I was all set with my rolling case. Big mistake! Now I know never to pack more than I can carry up a flight (or two or three) of steps or lug into the overhead bin by myself. Instead of packing all of those clothes, bring a tiny bottle of Woolite. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Sidewalks vary - some are cobblestones. You should not have to carry the bags - but count on walking slowly and watching where you're pulling them.

If you think this is too much trouble you can ask the hotel to have someone meet you and sclep the bags. Depends on the hotel if they offer this service - and you need to know when you're arriving.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:13 AM

I would argue that "smooth sidewalks" when combined with any ancient Italian city-center is an oxymoron. There's no such thing.

Even though I pity the poor soul who ventures into Venice without suitcases-on-wheels, I have more pity for those who venture into Venice with the cheaper variety of rolling sacks. Venice eats almost as many suitcase wheels as the number of guests it entertains. Hang out near Ponte delle Guglie one rush hour and watch all the tourists in agony struggling with a missing wheel or two.

If you plan to save money by walking with your luggage in Venice, don't skimp on the luggage. A heavy, broken bag can almost ruin a trip.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've done Venice both ways (duffle bag or small wheeled suitcase).

I prefer the wheels but do not pack heavier than what I can lift and carry for short distances (i.e., to board the vaporetto from the dock, bridges, stairs, etc.)
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Rolling them in the streets not a problem, but the stairs could be!

I would say it depends on what part of the city you're in. From the Ca d'Oro stop to the Hotel Giorgione, I don't remember having to cross a single bridge, and it was a 10 minute walk.

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your help. I think you have given me a good idea of what it will be like. I am sure I can lug the cases up some stairs or over a bridge but I wouldn't want to carry them for 10 minutes. I will watch where the wheels are headed!!
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:49 PM

We used rolling backpacks. They sell great ones at REI.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:35 PM
TC

You will be fine as long as you can lift the case, carry it up a few steps, roll it across a bridge and then carry it down the other side -- over and over and over again. Don't plan on attaching anything to your rolling bag. The idea of your shoulder bag hanging from the rolling bag didn't work well at all.