Venice or Cinque Terre????

Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice or Cinque Terre????

We have ten full days in Italy. Unfortunately, our trip is round trip in and out of Milan . We tried changing that but we are using reward points and it's not possible. It is also not possible to extend days:/. So, we are now having to make some tough choices. We are traveling first week of July (can't be changed either). We enjoy the outdoors, walking, History, art (but not too much rated r art as i do have 3 teens). Here's what I have so far:

Option 1:
1 day Milan
Train to either Venice or a town in cinque terre. 2 full days
From there, train to Florence and stay 3 days
4 days in Rome (we like the antiquities)

Or option 2:
1 day Milan
Train to Florence 3 days (side to Pisa)
Train to Rome 6 days (Pompey side trip?)

If option 1- Venice or cinque??

We are a family of five. Thanks!
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
On option 1 I would do both Venice and Cinque Terre and drop a day from Florence and Rome. Or better still if you can, given you arrive and depart from Milan (hopefully you are not counting the arrival or departure dates) drop the day in Milan and one from Rome.

Maybe this will give you an idea. A couple of years ago we were based in Florence. We did an overnight daytrip to Cinque Terre. On the way we stopped in Pisa. We did not get off at Central but a station 5 minutes past (check schedule to make sure the train stops at St Rosore). That's a 5 minute walk to the Leaning Tower instead of 45 minutes.

We spent an hour there and caughte a train back at that saome station to Lucca. Wandered the town and rented bikes and rode around the town on the wall. Picnic.

Then trained to La Spezia at the start of Cinque Terre and had a hotel less than a block from the train. Checked in and to 8 minute train to the first town Riomaggiore. Beutiful sunset and outdoor dinner. Train back to La Spezia. Next morning after breakfast took that train to Riomaggior, hiked the first 3 town then back to the second and boat to Porte Venere. Wantered around and bus back to La Spezia to get our backpacks and train back to Florence.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:56 AM

You really don't have time for 4 stops in 10 days. I would definitely choose Venice. It is unique and one of the most beautiful places in the world. CT is also beautiful but not the treasure that Venice is. In 8 trips to Italy, we have visited CT once for hiking and Venice 4 times. I would definitely return to Venice - not too sure about CT.

It is physically possible, as Myer says, to visit both but you won't do much but rush from one place to another. Savor Venice, Florence and Rome and you WILL return to see other parts of Italy.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 11:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for Venice over the CT, much more to do and see.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM

I'd take the train directly from Milan to Venice the day of your arrival. You'll be jet-lagged anyway, so you won't really be able to make the most of your day in Milan. Then wake up the next morning already in Venice! (much easier transfer from Milan to Venice than to CT). So...

Day one - arrive Milan, train to Venice — overnight in Venice

Days 2-3 — experience Venice

Days 4-5 — experience Florence

Days 6 — visit Tuscany hill villages en route to Rome - overnight in Rome.

(Note: you may want to get a driver-guide for this day, although you could rent a car and drive it yourself.)

Days 7-9 — experience Rome

Day 10 — back to Milan, get tickets in advance (like, NOW) to see The Last Supper that day

Day 11 — fly back home
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Hmm travel horizons u gave me an idea-

How about-

Take overnight train from Milan to Rome (we arrive Milan at night)
4 full days Rome
3 full days Florence (we could day trip to Pisa right?)
2 full days Venice (hubby wants to go; we'll leave the cinque for another time)
1 day Milan
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 01:37 PM

Venice, Florence, Rome is a great 10-day trip to Italy! I agree that cutting out the day in Milan is a good idea, and trying to squeeze in 4 locations is too much (especially with three teens). Of course, option 2 is not a bad plan either. Buon viaggio!
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 01:49 PM

I like your redesigned itinerary better, though I can't imagine an overnight train between Milan and Rome. It is less rushed than the other options. You can spend most of your last day in Venice, then take the train to Milan.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM

Both Venice and the Cinque Terre are amazing places but very different. I've been both both of them more than once (yes, I thought the CT was very much worth a second visit). I have a few friends who thought the CT was their favorite place in Italy (they are active people but not big history/art buffs).

Personally, I would try to find an itinerary that spends as little time in Milan as possible - see the Last Super and a few other things and that's it. Can you stop in Milan that first day upon arrival? Then train on to Venice that same day. If your flight out of Milan home isn't too early, you could end in Cinque Terre and train direct to Milan (about 3.5 hours) same day and fly out. I did that a couple of years ago, but my flight out of Milan wasn't until about 14:00. I'd never do it for an early morning flight, of course.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 03:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curious, what's "rated r art"?
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 02:37 AM

As Chinese say, a problem can also be an opportunity. A round trip from and back to Milan solves your quandary between Venice and Cinque Terre and is the occasion to visit both, one whil going to Rome, the other while coming back. You can do Milan --> Cinque Terre --> Tuscany --> Florence -- Rome --> Venice --> Milan
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In 10 days? Even if the OP moved every other day, there isn't enough time to go to 6 places in 10 days.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 11:01 AM

OK - I have a question. What is R rated art? I'm not aware that europe's churches and museums are full of naughty pictures. Or do you mean magazines on the newsstands? Whatever can you be talking about?

As for your itinerary - you have too many places - and I would drop the CT, several small towns with a hike in between. IMHO abut 4 on a scale of 10- where Venice is an 11.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 12:41 PM

I too am wondering about r rated art. Surely your children can't be so sheltered that the world's greatest art treasures will titillate or otherwise disturb, as Eric Cartman says, their fragile little minds?

Frankly, I'm a bit offended by the mere mention of r rated art. I think you should go to the Cinque Terre where there is much less art (none to speak of, other than a gallery where the art might be sexier, but will definitely not be great), much less history, and no museums.

You do know that lots of the statues in Florence and Rome have penises, don't you? You can hardly avoid having your children see multiple depictions of naked humans in Florence and Rome.

Maybe you should devote the entire trip to the CT.

I realize that this sounds bitchy, but really, my mind is blown. There are naked breasts in Rome that are a foot high.
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Not sure where you are flying from but Rome is a place where you hit the ground running, at least more so than Venice. I am going in July and chose to go to Venice first so that any jet lag is done with before I get to Rome. You may not want to go from Milan to Rome if there are jet lag issues.