Italy itinerary, and Cinque Terre advice

Old Jan 28th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy itinerary, and Cinque Terre advice

Hi there! My husband and I will be taking a late honeymoon to Italy for about 10 days in late May, early June. So far this is our itinerary...

Rome - 3 nights, train to Florence
Florence - 2 nights
Cinque Terre - 2 nights
Venice - 3 nights, train to Milan
Milan - 1 night, Fly home

Does this itinerary look good?

Also, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to get from Florence to Cinque Terre and where to stay. Our original plan was to rent a car in Florence and drive through Pisa and up the coast of Cinque Terre, but then I read that that might not be feasible. Then we had plans to drive back to Florence to take a train to Venice. Any advice on the easiest way to get to Cinque Terre? Thank you! Amanda
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 03:44 PM

Florence to Genua and Rapallo by fast train, then local train. I prefer to stay in Raopallo, and take day trips (by train) to the various villages along Cinque Terre.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM

On second thought: You are doing a lot of crisscrossing. Why not Rome - La Spezia - Local train to Cinque Terre ( or Rapallo), then Florence, Venice, Milan. All by train.
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 05:46 PM

Hi Scotta,

Personally, I would skip Milan and fly home from Venice. Add that 1 day to any of your other destinations.

Everyone always talks about the difficulty of departing from Venice on US bound flights (if that's where you will be going) due to very early departures, but I flew from Venice to SLC, Utah and my flight didn't leave until 11:30 a.m., so no problem getting to the airport.

Or, you could reverse the order of your trip and start in Venice.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 28th, 2012, 06:46 PM

I agree with Dayle. Unless you must go to Milan, I'd fly home from Venice or reverse the itinerary and fly home from Rome. You don't need a car for any part of this trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 04:52 AM

Hi,

I would fly into Milan and immediately take the train to le Cinque Terre. After that, train to Florence, then Venice, then Rome, fly home.

Also give some consideration to staying a bit north of le Cinque Terre. Camogli might be a nice honeymoon choice. It's a slightly shorter train ride and a heck of lot less tourists.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. What about staying in Santa Margherita Ligure? Has anyone been there? Liked it? Anyone have detailed information on the bus route to Cinque Terre from Santa or Rapallo?