venice Opera

Mar 7th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

venice Opera

I would like to go to the opera when in Venice. Can anyone give me any suggestions.
Mar 7th, 2004, 07:33 AM

There are several websites that will give you dates of events in Venice (and other cities). The one I've used is culturalitaly.com

Venice just in December reopened their big opera house, Teatro La Fenice, which had been burned down several years ago. I'm going to see the Verdi Requiem there in May--I'll be sure to include a description in my trip report.
Mar 7th, 2004, 02:49 PM

A quick source of upcoming operas and their dates for any city is www.operabase.com.

Bear in mind that Venice does not have nearly as many productions per season as Vienna or Paris. There may or may not be something playing during the dates of your particular visit.
Mar 9th, 2004, 04:00 PM

only an hr or two away is Verona, where you can see amazing operas in a real roman arena! I saw la Tosca there while studying in Venice and it was a beautiful experience. Do consider this once in a lifetime experience!
Mar 9th, 2004, 04:12 PM

Verona is a good idea, but the opera only runs in July and August, I believe.
Mar 9th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Verona Opera does only perform in July and August and the days are incredibly hot at that time. However, it's all worth it. I have seen operas all over Europe and none were as impressive as Verona. I don't even remember if the singing was that great, actually I don't think it was, but the staging and the whole experience was unforgettable. I was there one week and saw three operas. I don't think I'll have an opportunity to repeat this but I am so grateful that I was able to experience it once.
Mar 9th, 2004, 06:23 PM

La Fenice in Venice is supposed to put on its first opera since the fire and rebuilding next Nov. or Dec. La Traviata, I believe. Tickets for this first "rebirth" of opera at the Fenice will be VERY tough to come by....Perhaps you can get to something at the newly restored Malibran....
Mar 10th, 2004, 02:41 AM

We recently booked opera tickets for the Teatro Malibran in Venice for mid-April - 'The Pearl Fishers'. You can book at http://www.teatrolafenice.it/indexf.jsp
Mar 10th, 2004, 06:45 AM

I'm a little confused; I have tickets for May that say "Teatro Palafenice." New, restored theater, right? Granted it's a requiem and not an opera...why would they not start performing operas until next Nov or Dec? I thought they reopened Dec of 2003. These requiem tickets were very easy to obtain, and about $20 apiece, I think.
Mar 10th, 2004, 12:42 PM

While the Fenice was being rebuilt, another facility was used. Palafenice may have been the name. I'm not sure, but a visit to their website might tell you (google "La Fenice.")

La Fenice is technically reopened, and some things as being done there even as they complete last minute finishing touches to the rebuild. But, no fully staged opera will be performed there until the end of 2004.
Mar 10th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Oh no! I was so sure I read somewhere that Palafenice was what they renamed the original theater after being rebuilt. I was so excited about seeing my favorite classical piece performed in a historic opera house--now I can see it in a big tent on Tronchetto by the parking garage. Sigh. The tickets are already bought, so I'll make the most of it. Thanks for the heads up!
Mar 11th, 2004, 05:51 AM

I understand how you feel. It was heartbreaking walking past the Fenice "construction site" on my last trip to Venice. Perhaps you can take a tour or somehow get inside the Fenice while you are there, even if you can't see an opera performance. And, do look into the Teatro Malibran schedule. It is a jewelbox of a period theater, newly restored. Have fun!
Mar 11th, 2004, 08:16 PM

Jocelyn--

I saw Norah Jones at Palafenice last year and it was superb. Granted, it is not the famous opera house, but enjoy the relaxing vaporetto ride out there. Also, the "tent" is really nice inside. So though it won't be La Fenice, it will still be a memory worth remembering, I assure you. I'm jealous!
Mar 25th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Those who have been to events at Palafenice--will I stand out horribly if I wear basic black pants with a dressy shirt and shoes? I don't want to have to take a skirt along if it's not necessary.
Mar 25th, 2004, 06:43 AM

I just realized that I totally hijacked gbachlondon's thread--I'm sorry!
Mar 25th, 2004, 09:34 AM
JBX

Look on the official tourist board site for Venice, http://www.turismovenezia.it --- it has an article about the reconstruction of Teatro La Fenice, as well as information on events in Venice.
Jan 8th, 2011, 11:52 PM

Allora, this is a post from 2004, originally! And we've been flooded with 'opera' queries, I note.