Venice Marathon in October

Jun 16th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Venice Marathon in October

I'm thinking of running the Venice Marathon in October. It would be my first marathon but my fourth trip to Venice. Has anyone run this marathon? Any advice, tips, memories to share? Thanks!

Jun 16th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Go for it! We were in Venice at the time of the marathon in 2001 (didn't run it). Beautiful setting for a race. They built ramps over the steps up/down the bridges on the route, so you'll be running up and down those instead of steps.
Jun 16th, 2004, 09:03 PM

I will be in Venice in October. Definately not running, but can you tell me what day? Good luck if you enter.
Jun 18th, 2004, 12:07 AM

Hi txtree,
I had a friend who ran this 2 years ago. He complained that once you get to Venice itself, there are many turns in the route and they were difficult to navigate with 6000 other runners.

I took a look at the course on the website. The 13 bridges and the cobblestones on the last half of the run would kill me. You need to do your training in regard to this: run for 2 hours then do steps, ramps and curbs. It will be tough.

This is just my opinion, of course, but I have run 17 marathons on 3 continents, including on in Africa on dirt trails and one in the Sahara desert, and I found cobblestones were the toughest surfaces to run on, especially if it is raining.

I would suggest something flat and wide, like Berlin, Paris or London, for your first. Its a great way to see the city!
Jun 27th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice Queenie. I am a little concerned about the bridges at the end, but I'll be on the slow side so I'm not sure I need to worry about being in a big pack! Plus I just want to finish the marathon, and don't much care what my time is. The cobblestones are an injury concern, though, so I guess I'll keep thinking about it.

By the way, the marathon is on October 24.
Jun 27th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Good luck txtree! I have a couple of friends who ran it 2 or 3 years ago. They are fast--sub 4 hour marathoners--but they mentioned that they thought the pack needed to clear the bridge/freeway that comes into the islands by a certain time. I am not 100% sure about that.

I have run in a few Euromarathons, as well, and I have the same concern as Queenie: Watch out for the cobblestones! Slow or not, they can be hell on the knees!

How "slow" do you consider yourself? I think most Euromarathons have a time limit of 5:45 to finish. As long as you come in between 4.5 to 5 hours, you should have absolutely no worries.