Venice is it really that stinky?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard from friends and have read reviews that stated that Venice has an uncomfortable odor. We will be there 3 nights in early Oct. Is it that bad? Should we avoid staying on the Grand canal? Any feed back would be appreciated. I don't mind a little odor but if it is going to be uncomfortable maybe we should consider a shorter stay or maybe there are areas with less offensive odor?

Thanks,
Ann
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:47 PM

I think it depends when you are there. I have been there in October 2 years ago and there was no stink at all. I have heard from friends who were there in the hot summer months that it was quite bad. I believe you will be fine.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:53 PM
lyb

NO, THERE IS NO STINK!

I was just there this past October for 9 days and there was no stink anywhere...unless you are talking about the occasional urine smell in some small cales -- and the urine is not from the people, but from all the dogs!

I apologize for the ALL CAPS at the beginning but that old wives' tale about Venice stinking is one of my pet peeve.

I was also there on a previous trip at the beginning of July and still no stink!

You'll be fine, unless you've never been near the sea...unless think about it logically, if it were that smelly, would it be as popular a destination as it is?
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:00 PM
lyb

Ann,

Again, let me apologize to you..I really didn't mean to sound so harsh...I think I'm just tired and cranky tonight.

Go to Venice, don't worry, you'll have a great time -- it's a very magical city.

If you want to see pictures of what Venice looked like early October, you can go to my website to see pictures. As you'll see the weather was beautiful!

http://lynnsview.com/Gallery/
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

No worries, I was actually hesitant to make the post as I was concerned I may insult someone. However, I felt I had to ask as I have heard mixed feedback. I really appreciate the feedback and the pictures looking at them now.

Nighty Night,
Ann
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM

There have been days, and times when Venice doesn't smell the greatest so being honest shouldn't offend anyone except those in denial.

The last time we were there we remarked how much better the city was, odor-wise, than it had been on our previous visit.

They never mention garbage in food magazines, either, but that doesn't mean there isn't any.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 02:18 AM

I've neen to Venice in April, in Jume and in the heat of the August sun. Never experienced anything even remotely unpleasesant.
Go and enjoy beautiful Venice.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:30 AM

I'm a 50 something female and recall my grandfather's comments many, many, many years ago after he visited Venice. He said "it stinks" and he would never, ever return. As a result and based upon so many people either loving or hating it, Venice had never been high on my priority list. I finally visited last August and returned again in September after 10 days in Croatia. I absolutely loved Venice! The beauty is staggering AND no smell whatsover. While the Grand Canal is lovely, I found the small canals more beautiful, colorful and intriging. I stayed in a less touristy part of western San Polo and loved it. I found an outdoor cafe in a small square to enjoy my espresso each morning without hoards of tourists. Go, enjoy. I hope you fall in love with Venice as I did.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:58 AM

It's not unusual to have a slight smell of algae in the summer on some canals.
It's not all that bad. Three trips there and only noticed a smell once. And that was only near a dredged canal.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 03:59 AM

Some of the narrow alleys can pong a bit on rubbish collection day, but I have visited in August and the canals were fine.
Venice smells like a cross between river and sea.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:00 AM

I have been to Venice in May--NO STINK.
I have been to Venice in July, when it was over 100 F--NO STINK.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Hello apirone,

First, I will say that I absolutely love Venice. I have been there a number of times and would go there in a second, if I could.

However, I will say that during our visit this past April, the smell on some of the canals during low tide was pretty -- well, smelly. Our room was away from the canal so there was no problem in our room. But in the lobby and breakfast area, which was next to a canal, it was gross enough that you'd literally have to plug your nose at times. Even the staff was saying it was pretty bad.

We were there a week, and the smell would come and go, as easily as the tide went in and out.

Mind you, it was NOT disruptive to our enjoyment of Venice in any way. But it was definitely noticeable.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I've been in Novemeber and January and no stink except the dog poo in the alleys.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:12 AM

I've been to Venice four times, thrice in the Autumn and once in the late spring. The only time anything smelled bad was when they had a small canal drained for maintenance. That was an extreme low-tide smell, understandably, exposed algae 'airing out'

I'd always heard "stories" about Venice smelling bad, so I was wary of it, but never experienced it except for the above instance. Whenever I argue this in person with someone who claims that Venice stinks after visiting there, it is always someone who went there at the height of the summer tourist season. That tells me that it if any instances like this do exist, it must be a combination of the extreme crowds and extreme heat. I wouldn't dream of going there (or anywhere) at the height of tourist season, so I don't expect to ever have to deal with anything liket that.

Also, I want to add that during one visit during November, I experienced acqua alta, and I was horrified that the flood water would stink like sewage. It didn't, not in the least.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Whoops...forgot to mention that one of the times I was in Venice was in the Winter, not autumn. didn't stink then either