Venice-Locanda Cà Le Vele

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. A family of 5 is looking for a nice apt in nice area of Venice and happened upong this Locanda. Was hoping someone might have some info or experience with it/ Thanks and any other suggestions would be great. We are staying 3 nights in August. Regards.
Old May 25th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Campo Santa Marina 6068 - Castello - 30100 Venezia. Any information on this hotel would also be appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2003, 01:15 PM

Hello, I have never seen this place from the inside, but judging from the pictures on here: http://www.veniceby.com/levele/ , the Locanda Ca' Le Vele looks pretty nice! I used to live in Campo S.Sofia which is just across the street from Calle delle Vele where this hotel is. It is a very lively part of Venice so it should be nice for you (do note that since the hotel itself is in a side street it should be rather quiet at night). Also it is less than 10 minutes from Rialto.

The other hotel is in Campo Santa Marina, I see it every morning going to school. It is a rather nice square, rather quiet and very close to Campo S.Bartolomeo where the Rialto bridge is (takes you maybe 2 minutes to get there).
The hotel looks fine from what I saw, I assume you have already seen this page? http://www.venere.it/it/venezia/sant.../index.html.en

I'd say you'll be fine in either of these hotels! If you have any other questions drop me a line or post on here, I'll be happy to help!
Old May 25th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. As this is our first trip to Vencie. Do you have a preference for either location. We enjoy walking and would prefer walking to restaurants(any recommendations really appreciated) and sites and enjoy quiet sleeping conditions!! Any other info/suggestions would be great as we have 3 teenagers!!! Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2003, 01:21 PM

Both are in a nice location, just keep in mind that:
-Hotel Santa Marina is a real hotel, it was recently renovated and expanded. It is a bit farther away from public transports.
-Locanda Ca' Le Vele is also a very new hotel, and 100m from the vaporetto stop.

Both are very new, so I suggest you compare prices, whichever you pick should be fine

Look here for suggestions on where to eat and what to see, especially for younger people: http://www.comune.venezia.it/rol2/ho...C=&Nuovo=1
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:21 PM

Venexiano: I also just booked Locanda Ca' Le Vele. Having never been to Venice, this may be a silly question, but do you think I should be nervice walking back to this hotel late at night? There are 2 of us.

Thank you.
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:26 PM

Sorry, also wondering if you are aware of any spots in Venice that are considered at all unsafe? I know it's probably ridiculous to be nervous about this, but just want to make sure.

Thank you.
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again and appreciate your advice between those two hotels and either Hotel Ala or Pensione Accademia, Dorsoduro. Thank you
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:53 PM

No problems walking at night in Venice. I suppose you could run into a random nutcase or drunk tourist with a chip on his shoulder, but highly unlikely.
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:49 AM

Yes you'll be fine walking here at night There are a few spots that I don't like but these are well off the usual tourist places, and besides even if you did go there it is highly unlikely that you'd have any problems. Venice is a safe place altogether.

garylinda, I just checked out those other two hotels you mentioned - Hotel Ala is in a very very good spot since it is exactly halfway between St.Mark's and the Accademia. Rialto is also very close. I'd check it out if I were you.
I've also read many praises about Pensione Accademia here on Fodors, I've seen it from outside a couple of times and it does indeed look good.

If I were you I'd pick one of these two, it is a much nicer part of Venice in my opinion (as I said I used to live near Locanda Ca' Le Vele, now I live at the Accademia and I much prefer it where I am now ) and whichever you pick will be good.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much again. And one last question(maybe!!), I was able to use points to get a reservation at the Westin Europa and Regina. What do you think? Thanks.
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:47 AM

Excellent choice! It is an expensive hotel (indeed it is one of the higher-rank hotels in the city), but if you managed to use points, that is great! It is extremely close to St.Mark's.

Looking forward to your impressions of this hotel

Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:58 AM

Try venicerentals.com
It's a great apartment rental company and I'm sure they will have a perfect apartment that will fit your needs!
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 09:16 AM

We were in venice last month...stayed at Pensione Accademia which was great. We would definitely stay there again. We had dinner one evening at a restaurant at Campo Santa Marina and walked back to our hotel at 1 am. I would not have any concerns about walking late at night in Venice.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 12:27 PM

I'm a bit confused as you started out requesting an apartment (which I thought was a good idea for 5) yet have been posting only about hotels. I'm unfamiliar with the first 2 & their area. I stayed at the Accademia & know the Ala & the Europa Regina. The Europa Regina is one of the BEST hotels in Venice in a wonderful location. I think the type of accomodation you'll receive at each should be the deciding factor. Sometimes the best room(s) in a lesser hotel is better than the cheapest room in a better hotel. Will you be getting a suite or 2 rooms. Sounds like at least 2 bathrooms would be a good idea with this group.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

There is a good reason to be confused; we are too!! We are leaning toward the Europa which would be a real treat for us. However the rave reviews of Ala are tough to ignore. See the confusion.
We now have to focus on dining recommendations, casual and good are the only criteria!! Thanks very much for everyone's help;hope it continues! Regards.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:10 AM

If you like fish try the "Alboretti" near the Accademia, it's a hotel's restaurant with a small inner garden, another nice one is the Do Forni close to San Marco and the Caravella; if you are going to stay at the Europa Regina it's just across the street!