Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Albergo Santa Chiara or Hotel Portoghesi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorites!

I am deciding between staying at the Albergo Santa Chiara or the HOtel Portoghesi in Rome (both are about the same price -- approx 200 euros per night). Having done my homework on this site, I opted for the "centro historico" since I love to walk and want to be able to walk to as many sites as possible. I'm concerned the Hotel Portoghesi might be too far north and too far from ancient Rome (Colosseum, etc.)

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM

We stayed at the Portoghesi last May (and a couple of years before that) and think it's terrific. First, the hotel has excellent rooms for the price - a roof garden that adds a great deal, especially returning in the afternoon; a helpful staff; and it is very, very quiet, especially since it lies between Navona and Rotunda. We think that's a great location. You can get to the Colosseum rather easily, and there's not much else around there to make you want a hotel in that vicinity. So, I'd go for the Portoghesi.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Santa Chiara is definitely more in the center of things.

Portoghesi is further north, but you can walk over to Chiesa Nuova and catch busses going to St. Peter's and the Vatican Museums. If you walk up a few steps to Via Monte Brianzo, there is a stop for busses that will take you to the Forum and the Colosseum.

I like the Portoghesi area because it's just a little less touristy, has a nice little wine shop (1.5 liters of mineral water for 0.60 Euro; near the Santa Chiara .5 liter will cost you 1 Euro), a very good delicatessen and a "Forno" right around the corner, where you can pick up lovely panini, pizza slices and desserts for pennies if you feel like doing a meal "on the cheap".
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Both of these hotels are very nice, and both located in the heart of the "centro storico" (historical center) so that's not a problem.

You have to give the nod to Portoghesi, though because of the rooftop terrace. When there's a choice of hotels in Rome, always go for the hotel/pensione that has a rooftop garden/bar/breakfast terrace. That's true for budget places all the way up to the most luxe. You'll see why that's so important once you go up there to have breakfast and drink in the view-it puts you in a Roman frame of mind. The Portoghesi is a lovely palazzo of a hotel as well, so I second Paolo's suggestion.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Paolo, Eloise, and SpyGirl: Thank you so much for your thoughtful and prompt replies! I will go with the Portoghesi and post a review when I return.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 03:43 PM

I stayed at the Portoghesi last year and I liked the location a lot. (No, it's not super close to the Colosseum, but there really aren't any hotels that close to the Colosseum, are there?) Anyway, I liked being near the Piazza Navona and near lots of great restaurants and it's a great neighborhood to stay in imho. And the rooftop terrace was a nice extra.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Actually there are lots that are close to the Colosseo-here's one with deluxe rooms/suites that look directly out on the Colosseo, and gets great reviews on tripadvisor as well:

www.lancelothotel.com/facilities.htm#rooms

Rooms run aound $US200 a nt.-so alex, it would be within your price range.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Santa Chiara has confirmed the reports that I have read here and on tripadvisor.com--that they turn off the air conditioning at night.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 05:00 PM

I guess it never occurred to me to stay near the Colosseum because there doesn't seem to be much else in that area that I would want to be near, particularly at night. I don't remember the area as being all that attractive, whereas the area around the Piazza Navona has a lot to recommend it.

Plus, I do think it's very easy to walk to the main sites from the Portoghesi. In fact, the location is the best thing *about* the Portoghesi, imho. It's an adequate hotel, nothing to write home about, but the location and the rooftop terrace make it a good value imho.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:24 AM

For all those that have stayed at the Portoghesi, can you give me some details about the hotel breakfast please. Is there a breakfast room? Is breakfast taken up on the terrace? Is it just coffee and cornetto, like many other hotels I checked out, or is it a real buffet breakfast including meats, cheeses, fruits, etc.? I appreciate your help.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Have a look at their website:

www.hotelportoghesiroma.com/
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:52 AM

I already have. It says nothing about their breakfasts. I would not have asked otherwise. Appreciate other responses from people who know. Thanks.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:09 AM

We just got back from staying at the Portoghesi last week. The breakfast is more than cornetto. There is pre-packaged meat, cheese, yogurt. There is a divine coffee cake, chocolate cornetto, apples and oranges, bread for toast, rolls, juice, coffee. It is fine. We have stayed here 2 years in a row and love the terrace, the forno on the corner for snacks to take up to the roof, and the location. The rooms are nothing special and the showers in some rooms can be teensy. Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel and you have a lovely little view. The location can't be beat.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:10 AM

rbn - thanks for your reply!! And for the tip about the room. Can you tell me which room in particular is the one to ask for?
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:00 AM

I actually don't think there is a room worth asking for. They are pretty basic but just say that you want a room facing the street. That's what I do. I forget the room numbers.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Thanks again. In the meantime, they have no standard rooms left and so I booked with Teatro Pace.