Venice - Hotel Metropole or Hotel Ala

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice - Hotel Metropole or Hotel Ala

Hotel Metropole - 295 Euros for standard double with canal view
or
Hotel Ala - 240 Euros for deluxe double with view of side canal.

Is Metropole worth the extra 55 Euros/night? Especially interested in advice from someone who has seen or stayed at both.

Thanks
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 04:15 AM

I don't like the location of The Ala at all, however it receives many decent reviews from others. Have you looked into the Kette?
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 05:01 AM

I have never stayed at the Metropole but love the Ala and its location.
Old Feb 26th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Good morning, can not help with the Metropole, however have stayed at the ALA, two or three times in past years.
It is located about two full blocks west of the Pza. S. Marco. a very short distance (1/4 block) from the vaporetto stop, Santa Maria dei Giglio.
It is a three star with 85 rooms.. You can get additiional information from www.hotelala.it o www.veniceinfo.it.
Faces large square and has canal side back door for taxis..Was very satisifed
with staff, service and accomodatiions other than square side rooms can be noisy at night... Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I'm leaning toward Hotel Ala now... is it worth it to pay for a Deluxe canal-view room or are the superior rooms also nice?
Thanks
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:07 AM

I'm interested to learn how you got a 295 euro rate for canal view at the Metrolpole. Are you going in dead of winter? About the best I could find was 400 euros or so.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:52 AM

I think Mediterraneo has not got lagoon view room (facing San Giorgio). The canal view at Metropol must mean a view of a side canal as at Ala. Meropol is about 10 minute walk from the Gran Canal.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:57 AM

To me, the price for the Ala sounds too high and the Metropole too low. Knowing both hotels, I would pick the Metropole in an instant. But it the 55 euro difference is important, the Ala is certainly a good choice. Frankly, the superior room in Ala would be a better deal than a canal view room unless your heart is set on seeing some water. From the Ala, you won't see a lot. Likewise, whether you get a canal view room or just a nice room at the Metropole is your judgment, but I would still stay at Metropole for that difference in price. Good luck.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 09:39 AM

we had a 190Euro room at the Ala in the fall and it was on the side canal. there was no balcony but all you do is open your window and you have plenty of ambience. i thought it was a nice hotel and went by recs on this site and was not disappointed.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 11:42 AM

Is there any decent hotels in Venice that arn't that expensive? I was thinking of the Ala...but with the exchange thats alot of money.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the posts. In fact, that Metropole rate is for June, but it was a "special" rate I was able to get. However, it would be for a standard room. The 240 Euros at Ala may have seemed high because it's for a Deluxe room... a superior (regular) room there would only be 190 Euros. I'll decide soon.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 01:15 PM

The Metropole has gone up in price I stayed there in 2001 in a standard double with side canal view could see the lagoon as well for 175 US. Our room was very comfortable, not a bad size by European standards and the bathroom was very nice. I also found the staff friendly.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 04:44 PM

I have stayed at both the Ala and the Metropole. I believe both locations have a lot to recommend them, and I actually preferred the location of the Ala.
On the rooms: the best rooms at the Ala are pretty darn nice. The have balconies (very narrow) over a large side canal, where each afternoon the singing gondola tours drift by below the windows. This is pretty special. The rooms are large, have nice enough furniture and nice spreads and drapes; also a pretty Venetian chandelier. Some downsides are the safe stuck to wall in plain view and uncarpeted floor. The staff is ok, but not of the caliber of the Metropole.

The Metropole is family owned and run, with a very smooth, competent and accomodating staff. The decor is superior to that of the Ala. The linens are nicer and the rooms are prettier.

However, that balcony room at the Ala with the singing gondoliers drifting by each afternoon is a real treat. There is also a secluded and quiet tiny rooftop deck.

I hope this information helps. If you want me to compare anything else, I would be happy to. Oh, afternoon tea at the Metropole is delightful. Meals there are very nice in general.
Debbie
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:15 PM

what do you think of the hotel flora?
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Debbie,
When you stayed at the Metropole, was it in a Standard Room. It seems clear that the Metropole is a level above Ala in general, but I guess I'm trying to figure out if the standard room at the Metropole would be better than the Deluxe room with canal view at Ala. Thanks for your post.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:02 AM

anyone answer above question? Standard room at Metropole or double deluxe with canal view at the ALA? Anyone- help!!!