COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

venice, Lido

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 12:33 PM
c

venice, Lido

Will be staying 3 nights in Venice from 7th May - 10th May 2002 and would like to know if it's inconvenient/time wasting to stay on Lido or if it's worth the reduced hotel rates that I've found on venere.com.

Looking forward to your comments

Thanks

Christina

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Rex

I recommend against it. It depends on the rest of your itinerary, but if you can afford three nights on Lido, but not three nights in Venice, then I recommend two nights in Venice and one extra night in some less expensive part of Italy (like up in the hills to the north of the Veneto).

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:20 PM
ttt

to the top

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Steve James

Hello Christina,

I have to disagree with Rex on this one.
I've stayed on Lido twice, - and plan to again. It's only a 20-minute boat ride from S. Mark's Square across the lagoon, - a nice way to start and end the day's sight-seeing, rather than an 'inconvenience'. The boats run till late, so there's really not a problem if you wish to sightsee in the evening. Go for it!

Steve

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:06 AM
JOdy

We've never stayed on the Lido, but friends have and they were very pleased..said they liked the early morning there and also returning late at night after an evening in Venice. If the priice is really good , I'd take it just to have the extra time in Venice.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Rex

Civilized disagreements, differences in perspective - - are one of the best things about this board. My last time on Lido was with a bunch of kids. It was pleasant, and the savings meant that two nights could be fit into the budget instead of just one.

but if you can afford three nights on Lido, then it's worthwhile to consider only two nights and not have to fae that vaporetto ride (and usually followed by a busride) when you're ready to head in for the evening.

Not diminishing Steve's opinion at all.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:02 AM
christina

Hi and thanks for your opinions.

I chose a hotel called Villa Pannonia, it's a 3 star and looks nice on the internet. Has anyone seen/heard of it.

The distance is quoted as being about 12 minutes from San Marco but I suppose I have to allow for some exageration too.

We've been quoted 353 euros for a double room with shower and breakfast. It seemed like a v.good price. Do you think I'm right? We'll be arriving in Venice after spending 5 nights in Rome.

Does anyone know what time the boats/waterbuses stop in the evenings?

Thanks again

Christina

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Dawn

CHristina, is that 353 euros a night? If so, that is way too much money.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:12 AM
christina

The price of 353 euros is for 3 nights

Christina

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Wayne

Christina---
I can name a dozen or more places in Venice proper that won't charge you 363 Euro per night. I wonder if that isn't the charge for all 3 nights that they quoted you; that would make it about right. You need to check on that. If indeed you are being charged 363 per night, you need to get back to this web site and look for other hotels on the mainland. And I don't quite understand the entry by an earlier poster who said "go for it, so you'll have the extra time in Venice." If you are on the Lido, I don't know how there can be any "extra" time compared to being in Venice. Please check back when you find out whether that charge is one day or three.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:49 AM
christina

Dear Wayne,

Thanks for your post.Probably we posted around the same time bec.353 euros is for a double room (not per person) and is for all 3 nights. Since I have until April 30th to cancel without extra charge, I'd appreciate your knowledge/help about hotels in Venice proper. Don't mind if price is a little higher if there is a higher convenience factor but the prices I've seen are more like 100 - 130 euros per person per night for similar 3 star accomodation.

Best wishes

Christina

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Steve James

Christina - The vaporetto (No.1) to Lido runs until 00.24 (last one).
It leaves from S. Zaccària (Danieli) near S. Marco every 20 mins late evening:

For full timetables see:
www.actv.it/home.php

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Steve James

Oops - missed one! And 23.44

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Janice

I enjoyed staying on Lido - I've stayed there, and in Venice "proper" and there are good and bad aspect to both. I found Lido to be MUCH quieter than the main part of Venice.
Hotel recommendation on Lido: Hotel Boulevard. (stupid name, I know) When I was there and had very serious food poisoning (like doctors in the middle of the night serious) they were amazingly kind. When my friend had to go get my prescriptions, they sent up a maid to sit with me, they brought us ice, drinks and snacks every couple of hours through the next day when I was bedridden (unasked!), came up and changed the sheets for me mid-afternoon, because they thought I might feel better on fresh bedding (again, unasked) and gave me a round of applause the next morning when I made it to the breakfast room intact. What's not to love with a staff like that?