Reload this Page >

Best comedy - yet another London theatre question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Vita

I'm in the mood for some good British comedy. Stones in His Pockets looks interesting. Has anyone seen it? Any other recommendations? I'm going next month and looking for something in the GBP 5-15 range.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 07:53 AM
janis

5 Pounds - surely you jest!<BR><BR>But all of these comedies are regularly available at the 1/2 price booth for around 12 to 15 GBP plus the small booking fee:<BR><BR>Art<BR>Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)<BR>Noises Off<BR>Stones in his Pockets<BR><BR>All are wonderful.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:39 AM
michele

I really enjoyed Stones in His Pocket and recently saw The Play What I Wrote..also very funny and quite silly. Directed by Kenneth Branagh. Did not see this one listed at the 1/2 place. It is new, but maybe by next month.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Mary Quant

michele<BR><BR>when you saw Play what I wrote - who was the surprise guest, and what date did you see it?<BR><BR>MQ

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 10:03 AM
michele

Twiggy.(appropriate for Mary Quant) March 23.<BR><BR>MD<BR><BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Kate B

Why don't you go to one of the central London comedy clubs? I always have a great night out at them<BR><BR>Kate

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:52 AM
jo

saw art and stones in his pockets. art<BR>was amazing. stones was pretty good tho<BR>a bit cliche.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:37 AM
sylvia

Bedroom Farce has just opened at the Aldwych. The reviews have been good.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Sharon

We saw Humble Boy. Play What I Wrote is specifically about a British comedy team. Reportedly the show is fummy is you are familiar with the team. Stones in His Pockets reportedly is very Irish, with acents and idioms particular to that region (which may be difficult to understand).

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:42 PM
jo

how is humble boy/ im thinking of seeing<BR>it in may. also has anyone seen this is our youth?

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 01:46 PM
CJ

Saw "Art" in London and thought it was hilarious! I would see it again.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:39 PM
michele

Vita,<BR>Play What I Wrote is about a British comedy team, but I wasn't familiar with them at all and still enjoyed the show. It is very silly, broad comedy.<BR><BR>M.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:14 AM
cheviot

A comic play but not a comedy that's on, and very satisfying, is "This Is Your Youth," written by Kenneth Lonergan and starring Anna Paquin, Hayden Christensen (about to be huge because he's the new Anakin Skywalker), and Jake Gyllenhaal, who is also about to be huge by virtue of appearing in a new film with Jennifer Aniston. Excuse the references to mainstream culture. Anyway, it's funny, set in NYC (!) in the 1980s. Very well done ensemble work.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Vita

FYI - Just reading in the London Theatre Guide that the new cast for 'This is our Youth' is Matt Damon, Casey Affleck and Summer Phoenix and the April 22-24 performances have been cancelled due to the transition. Just a heads up to those of you who would like to see British actors during your time in London.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Patrick

Right, Vida, I just posted this message to someone trying to reach the Garrick Theatre. Also This is Our Youth is now expected to close on June 8 rather than June 15 as originally planned. This is apparently due to a conflict of Matt Damon's.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Mark

Actually The Play What I Wrote won best new comedy for 2001. It is pure fun and silliness.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 11:12 AM
chris

I bought a ticket through lastminute.com to see Art next week for 9.50gbp.