Gifts to take TO Italy??

Apr 8th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Katie

Gifts to take TO Italy??

Any suggestions for $20.00 range hostess gifts to bring from the US for colleagues in Rome? In this global market I am having a hrad time thinking of something that would be a treat.
Thanks!

Apr 8th, 2002, 05:00 AM
thank

Just an idea: if you know their music taste, bring a couple nice CD's. Easy to carry and they'll remember you every time they listen to them, at home, in their car, wherever.

Apr 8th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Dawn

Katie,

I was in your situation not to long ago when I needed a gift to bring to Malaysia. I ended up bringing a crystal bowl that had a lid. My friends really liked it which worked out well.

I would think that anything like chocolate, wine would be exceptable. I know I know they have that there but you know you always want what you can't get. Maybe a brand from the US (Godiva, Cadbury) or wine from Napa Valley. I also think anything NY is a good gift. Any coffee table book on American history, NY history seems to go over well especially in light of 9/11 - people are curious about the city. If your hostess has kids, Yankee baseball caps went over well for a co-worker of mine who was in your situation.

Apr 8th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Carol

We visited friends in France and family in Italy for the first time and wanted to bring typically American gifts. Here's what we brought:

Ghiardelli chocolate
Jelly Bellies
Russell Stover chocolate
Maple syrup

Pewter dishes made in USA
Cranberry glass vase
Yankee shirt (we're from NY)
Yankee Candle Co. candles
Books on NY (especially now)
Disney stuffed characters

Hope that helps.

Apr 8th, 2002, 01:56 PM
chocolate

Dawn:
Sorry to disappoint you: Godiva chocolate is originally Belgian (until Campbell Soup bought the brand) and Cadbury is British.

Apr 8th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Rosemarie the righteous

I didn't take anything as I wasn't sure I would locate any family but I did send gifts later and I knew a little about what they might like. The previous posting is pretty safe and should work. I sent jazz CDs a cowboy hat college tee shirts and Native American necklaces.I wanted Disney videos for the children but I have never been able to find them in Italian tho I have even contacted Disney's European offices in London.I also have not found Harry Potter in Italian.

Apr 10th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Kelly

Hello. I was shopping yesterday for the same thing and I chose a gorgeous bottle shaped like a maple leaf filled with maple syrup. (A true Canadian gift - do you know how many Italians have asked for pancake recipes?). If you are from Vermont or close, you could choose something similiar - or something that reflects where you are from, i.e, California wine (if you can take wine?). It might mean alot to your hosts.

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Tom

Coffee table books!?

Crystal chests w/ lids!?

Bottles of American wine?

I've got an idea, why not bring a Shaker armoir? Or a dining room table with four chairs? or how about some "American leather gloves?

Dawn, what planet are you from?

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Chocolate

Actually, that crumby American made Godiva that you get here would make an excellent present. It will show them how much better chocolate is made when it must be made under the stringent EEC standards instead of in the US, where there are no standards.

(I am always amazed that anyone would waste money on that horribly overpriced Godiva stuff. It is not Beligian chocolate. OK, the chocolate may be imported ffrom Belgium, but that recipe is not. If you want good European chocolate, go to the Lindt store and look for packages that say made in Switzerland and ignore the packages that say made in US. Better yet, look for Neuhaus, which is what most Belgians eat anyway. It is not made in the US, so it's always great.)

Apr 10th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Laura

Gee, Tom, I'd say Dawn was from a gracious and civilized planet. And you? I'm guessing, elsewhere. Great suggestions, ladies. May I add Lake Champlain Chocolates from Vermont, if you are a New Englander. They won't pass Chocolate Snob's palate I'm sure, but your hosts might like them.

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:01 PM
ggg

My cousins loved the tacky tea towels with the map of Arizona on them. Also, Arizona refrigerator magnets and smoked salmon.

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:40 PM
jan

I have brought Jack Daniel's bourbon over to Italy twice now for hosts and have gotten rave reviews. (Tennessee) Almost anything indigenous is a winner.

Apr 11th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Chocolate

I'd rather be a chocolate snob than a chocolate slob, like Laura. According to her, I guess a snob is anyone who knows the good stuff from the bad. Sigh, it is unfortunately common for ignorant people to attack people who are not ignorant.

Anyway, taking American chocolate to Europe is really a laughable idea. You will really impress them by bringing them a second rate version of what they can get at home. Why not just take Hershey's? That'll really make them sick. Europeans just despise the stuff, and with good reason. It's made with sour milk, in case you didn't know.

We decide to take maple sugar candy, because it is uniquely North American, it's light, easy to carry and it won't spill or do any damage to the contents of a suitcase if roughly handled.

Still ou have to admit that was pretty funny that someone thought that Godiva and Cadbury are American brands. No wonder most of the world thinks that Americans are entirely self centered. I'm beginning to think that they are right.

Apr 11th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Miss Mannered

"Chocolate," you may be right, you may be knowledgeable about chocolate and many other things, but smugness and arrogance don't become you or anyone. Try being gracious to your inferiors in taste and intellect. I am. Most of the time.

Apr 11th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Chocolate Realist

Chocolate Snob, there actually are some very good American chocolates. Have you ever tried Scharffen Berger? And do you really think that most Belgians normally eat Neuhaus, which is expensive even in Belgium? The most common brand by far is Leonidas, and there are many popular local brands that even you may not have heard of. Finally, I know lots of Europeans who have been more than happy to wolf down plenty of chocolate chip cookies made with American-made chips.