Search

venice in march

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venice in march

We (my husband, myself and 3 kids,15,13,&10) are going to Venice mid march. I have found a reasonable b&b in Costella. I have read that this is a very touristy area and that it will be very crowded. Is this true for March? Our b&b is 130 Euros for the 5 of us and is sunny and spacious so I would like to stay there. Any suggestions or comments?
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:11 PM

I think the b&b might be in Castello, one of the six sestieri (divisions of the city) of Venice.

Castello (where I have stayed) is not a very touristy area, and I have no idea where you might have read that. It is true, however, that the Venice Biennale is held in the Giardini in a far corner of Castello and that, during the Biennale, that particular part of Castello may be crowded.

I assure you that in mid-March you will not encounter crowds of tourists in Castello.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:45 PM
JMyra

the price for 5 seems like an incredible deal, but in any b& b or budget hotel, i'd be really surprised if the accommodations are spacious. How many rooms do you have?
i hope you're not all in one, it would have to be huge to fit you all comfortably, especially with kids and their parents who want some space.

Most of Venice is pretty touristy, but absolutely not as crowded in March as, say, in July. And Castello, as Eloise says, is mostly not a very touristed area, except where that area abuts Saint Mark's.

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM

HiJoan,

I visited Venice in March and it was wonderful. Really no crowds to talk of, just some around the Rialto Bridge and St. Marks. Weather wasn't bad. It was rather damp & foggy (very atmospheric), but not cold enough for hats or gloves. Did wear a winter coat.

Buon viaggio!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:02 PM

I don't mean to contradict Dayle, but I have also been to Venice in March and there were a few days I definitely needed my gloves and hat. Weather is unpredictable and gloves and hats don't take up much room.

But I agree with him (or her) that Venice is wonderful in March, no matter how cold or warm.

p.s. I like Castello, although I've never stayed in that sestiere. Isn't there a big market or something over there one day (Eloise?)?
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Leely,

If there is a famous one-day market in Castello, I have to admit I've never heard of it. I just did a brief Google search and didn't come up with anything. There are quite a few well-known one-day markets all over Italy; perhaps you're thinking of one of them. The ones that I recall without searching through books and Web sites are the once-a-month antiques market in Arezzo and the Sunday flea market at Porta Portese in Rome (where the saying is that your wallet will be stolen on your way in, but you will be able to buy it on your way out).

Joanr:

In the Google search mentioned above, I came across an article (in Italian) taken from an Italian magazine with the headline: "Castello, the Venice of the Venetians." Please don't worry, it's one of the least touristed areas in all of Venice.