Need help with 14 day itinerary to France and Belgium

Notices

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I'm trying to plan an intinerary and feel overwhelmed despite lurking on the boards and reading a guidebook. My sister and I (22 and 32) will be flying in/out from Paris. We will not be renting a car. I think we're going to spend 3 days seeing the sights in Paris. Then make daytrips with one day for Chantilly/Senlis, Versailles/Chartres, and Giverny. I've always wanted to see Bruges so I want to spend some time up there. Would also like to see any other nice places nearby if you have any suggestions, rather than just see Brugges. Then we'll train to Tours to use as a base to possibly see Chenoncau, Chambord, Chinon, Loches, or whatever chateaus are included in the tours from Tours. Does this seem like too much, too little, or about right for 14 full days? Are there any must-see daytrips I'm missing? Or are there any other suggestions for a city/town we can base ourselves in with lots of easy daytrips on public transportation? We don't particularly enjoy museums. Prefer nice scenery, wandering around beautiful places. For reference, I loved places like Dinan, St. Malo, and Annecy when I was there many years ago. Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:47 AM

It seems like a nice trip but it is a little hard to say the way it is laid out. One observation is that doing Versailles/Chartres in one day seems a bit crowded to me. I think you might be shortchanging one of them. What time of year are you going?
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Have you already got your tickets? I would suggest flying into Brussels, see Brugge, train to Paris, then Loire, back to Paris to leave. Or Brussels, Loire, and Paris before leaving. You still would have to go through Paris to get to the Loire but Brussels is 1 hour, and Tours 1 hour (I believe).

Even if you are traveling by train, you might consider another base for the Loire such as Amboise. I believe the tours pick up there as well. Be sure to make your reservations for the tour bus before you go.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM

In the west of Belgium, there are many significant walks around the areas impacted by WW 1 (All quiet on the western front) This is just past Brugge, but you'll want to leave plenty of time to experience Brugge itself. If you can find the ancient bar De Gar don't miss it. (The challenge is in the finding) Also the Watou area offers some interestings sights and a world class restaurant (beer cooking)
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! To answer a few question... Unfortunately, we've already bought our airline tickets. We will be there May 19-June 2.