Reload this Page >

venice in january?

Search

venice in january?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 05:40 PM
laura

venice in january?

do 2 adults from maine want to go to venice in jan? what is there to do indoors(besides eat and drink wine?) what will the weather be like. any info on the Hotel Scandinavia? thanks

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 07:01 PM
silvana

my father and i spent new year's in venice about 3 years ago. there is a TON of stuff to see in venice. the weather was chilly and there was a bit of rain but i am sure you maine-ites can handle it (i have only lived in hot climates... egypt and texas.. and i was GREAT!). there are some great museums and churches to see. the public transportation has such character there as it is all by boat (no cars/buses/etc.). <BR>my number one recommendation is the peggy guggenheim collection (that is, if you like art/museums of course)... which out of all of the galleries/museums i have been to (and there are many, being the daughter of an artist), is still my very favorite.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 02:33 AM
Wayne

Cool to downright cold, possibly drizzly and rainy----that ought to make you folks feel at home. The temp's will not be nearly as cold as Maine in January, so you should have no problem. As the previous post has said, there are many things to do and see in Venice. Best of all, very few tourists are there, and you get to see the city the way you should see it. One possible drawback, which isn't bad if you take it in stride, is the potential of high water that rises over the level of the pavement in San Marco square. Many hotels loan you rubber boots, and elevated wooden walkways are put out to help you get through without getting wet. It's actually aorta fun.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Karen

Laura, we spent 4 days in Venice in January about 10 years ago, and the sun was shining the whole time!!! Yes, it was cold (especially coming from Australia) but thermal undies fixed that! It was wonderful and we spent most of time wandering around and exploring the city. I remember being in absolute awe of the fashion there, and how immaculately dressed everyone was in their swingy A-line coats, with even the kids looking like a million dollars. We spent one afternoon (waiting for our washing to dry) hanging out of the pensione window just watching the world go by. It was quite amusing when several Italian guys stood below our window and called up to us in classic Romeo and Juliet style!! <BR><BR>We missed the high water, which I have read on this site is an experience in itself, if a little inconvenient.<BR><BR>Also, the best pizza we had in Italy was in a tiny pizzeria in a little back street, which of course, we could never find again - that's Venice for you!!!<BR><BR>Enjoy!!!<BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Pam

Check Gourmet..I think 2001 there was an article on Venice in Winter..go before Carnival ..there is alot to do just with museums and galleries. For what it's worth, we've been to Maine three times primarily on the coast, loved it and loved Venice. We were just in Venice last month for a week. Check out La Calchina for a hotel. It's location is ideal, it's a reasonably priced three star, and in a great neighborhood.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Pam

We did not miss the high water. We were there when the moon, high tide and heavy rains converged. My recommendation..take two large garbage bags with ties for each of you. Then find your way to the hardward store on a street parallel to the Grand Canal by the Accademia Hotel. They sell great rubber boots for 13 euro.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 04:59 PM
viener

Venice is fantastic anytime. Was there in December 3 years ago and took a whole roll of film in the first 20 minutes. It is absolutely gorgeous. The weather was cold and sometimes overcast, sometimes sunny, but that did not stop us from any sightseeing. I have heard that in the warmer months, that it is very crouded and that the water gets stinky.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Jasmine, Scala Reale Walking Tours

Dear Laura,<BR><BR>I just returned to Rome from Venice last week. It was cold, overcast, and all the more beautiful because of it. I highly recommend Venice in winter (and, if you can swing it, midweek) because the canals don't stink and you may even come upon a quiet Piazza St. Marco. <BR><BR>In addition to eating and drinking, Venice holds wonderful stores of modern art. Once you arrive, check listings for architecture exhibits by the university or the latest exhibit from the Guggenheim. I suggest you eat in the Dorsoduro University district as well, as the city contains quirky, stylish cafes and student priced restaurants in the area.<BR><BR>Best,<BR><BR>Jasmine.<BR><BR>www.scalareale.org

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 08:42 PM
joan

I just booked the Scandanavia Hotel for Jan. 23 to 27 through Tourcrafters. It seems to be in a convenient location. I've been in Venice in Feb. for a class on Venice. I can send you places that we went- churches, museums, etc.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:32 PM
todd

I can't render a personal opinion on Hotel Scandinavia; however it looks like a good choice for a January stay. It's located in the Castello area, an easy walk to Rialto Bridge and similarly, to San Marco area. Plus you may avoid having to deal with acqua alta (high water) in your hotel lobby as that more often impacts the lowest point in Venice, that being in St. Marks square. <BR><BR>Weather will be cold; probably you'll see rain and possibly, light snow. Go -- enjoy -- lots to see &amp; do in Venice. Do a search on this forum for Venice, and you can find a frequent poster to this site, Elaine, who maintains a lengthy file on Venice. She very generously shares her info upon request.<BR>

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 07:14 AM
flygirl

I've been to Venice in January. You have St Marks Square all to yourself in the morning (OK, 8 AM, but still - the sole person there...) and you can walk for quite a chunk of time without running into anyone. it's cold, but not too much, and on the foggy days it's even more magical. and the sun can be so brilliant that time of year!