Search

Venice Hotels-Thoughts on La Calcina and Hotel Galleria

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Hotels-Thoughts on La Calcina and Hotel Galleria

Hi All,

My husband and I (late 20s) will be heading to Italy in July, with our first stop in Venice for 3 nights. I've looked into La Calcina and Hotel Galleria, and would appreciate your thoughts or experiences. Both are available for my dates; La Calcina has a double room w/ private bath, partial view fo Guideca Canal, 4th floor room with buffet breakfast for 179 Euro per night; the Hotel Galleria has a double corner room w/ view of Grand Canal (but no bathroom), breakfast included, 120 Euro a night. Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels? How do their locations compare? Bathroom issue aside (we'd be OK without a private bathroom, we think , is the 59 euro difference for La Calcina worht it? 179 is slightly more than what we hoped to pay, but then again, there are certain things we're willing to splurge on.. (would love your thoughts whether this should be one of them or not! Also, are there any other hotels in the 120-180 range that are worth checking out before I make my reservation. Thanks in advance for your comments--I really appreciate it!

Best,
Angela
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM

We stayed at La Calcina and liked it but would be tempted to give Hotel Galleria a try. A corner room with a view of the Grand Canal at that price sounds pretty tempting. The Guidecca Canal isn't overwhelmingly scenic whereas the Grand Canal is a World Class sight. If the shared bath doesn't bother you ... the Galleria gets good reviews but have heard their rooms are small, might inquire as to how many sq meters it is.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would pick La Calcina... partly because I have stayed there twice and just love it. But also because I am not willing to share a bathroom (been there done that didn't like it).
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments thus far---any other thoughts from those who have stayed at either La Calcina or Hotel Galleria? Thanks!
Angela
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 07:33 PM

Hi

We stayed at Hotel Galleria and really liked it. Pros: great location at foot of Accademia Bridge with small gondola stop and tiny pizza place also at foot of bridge. It is only a couple of stops from San Marco and easy to take a late night ride down the canal.
It has good to great views. We had the smallest room, but when they set breakfast up on a small table in front of our window and we looked out at the Accademia Bridge and the Grand Canal, we felt we were in a play. We also enjoyed waking up to the sounds and sights of working Venice: boats carrying in fresh fruits and vegetables and clean laundry, etc.
The corner room has truly fantastic views and is fairly large by Venice standards. There is one other fairly large room, also with a great view. At least one of them has a bath or half bath. What was once large, elegant spaces has been divided to create smaller spaces, so some of the rooms have beautifully frescoed ceilings that are only a quarter or half of the original - kind of sad, but also kind of neat. Wallpaper, etc. was nice when we were there.
They gave a 10% discount for paying cash.
The staff is small, only one person at the desk, but really extra nice.

Cons: One of our friends who stayed here did not like the sounds of Venice waking up and bought earplugs.
The hotel has no elevator, is a walk-up with one tall flight of stairs, but was Ok, even for two seniors like us.
Shared baths were kept clean, but if you don't feel comfortable with that, could be a negative.
This is the real negative I see for you. I don't believe it has any air-conditioning and in July, it might be pretty hot. It might be cool enough in the evening though and you can have windows open for a breeze and they have fans. I've been only in Spring and fall, so maybe someone else can tell you what night is like in summer. At nearly $80.00 difference, if the shared bath is OK, you like the sounds of the morning and it isn't too hot, the money you save will buy a special dinner, plus you have the view.

Down the street about a block or so is a nice, big hotel called Hotel Belle Arti: very quiet, beautiful terrace and garden, nice rooms, nice buffet breakfast, great location, no views.

We haven't stayed there, but friends have stayed at La Calcina. They liked the location, the breakfasts and the restaurant. Does your room have air-conditioning?
This was long, I know, but hope it helps. Sassy
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM

A friend and I stayed in the same room at the Hotel Galleria Sass described, and we really liked the hotel. I think Sass is correct in that there is a Canal side room, large, with en suite bathroom. Next time I'd opt for that room if La Calcina was full. Have walked past it many a time, have lunched outside on their restaurant deck. Really enjoy that side of Dorsoduro and would disagree with a previous poster who thought the Giudecca is not picturesque.

If I was watching my budget, I'd go for the Galleria. If I had a few more Euros in my pocket, I'd go for La Calcina.