Venice hotels - no shower curtain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am searching a 2-3 star hotels in Venice for my March trip, but I heard of a review that some hotels do not have shower curtains. Will someone name those? I once experienced such an hotel in Germany, and I want to avoid those.<BR>
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:46 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you'll find that most 2 and 3 star hotels in Europe will not have shower curtain...at least not from our experience.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:56 PM

The shower curtain deal is a good one.<BR>The hotels in France do not usually have curtains either; a splater board perhaps, but not a cloth or plastic curtain. To make a shower even more fun, the shower head is attached on the end of a flexible metal tube that seems to have a mind of its own. So even if I turn the water only to moderate pressure, I seem able to do a good job of drowning the floor.<BR><BR>In Germany and Austria, however, I have found shower curtains or real live shower compartments. The Altwienerhof in Vienna has the most gorgeous bathrooms you will find in a 3 star hotel. They are tile, and have excellent controls for the temperture of the water in a beautiful shower compartment that is almost a small room!!. Other places we have stayed in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland have shower compartments, some with sliding or folding glass doors, and some with curtains about 8 feet long.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 10:30 PM

I would prefer not having a shower curtain at all in a hotel room, after enduring wet, slimey ones clinging to me during a shower, alot of them are not too clean either. If water splashes on the floor, just put down a towel, the maids must become used to wet floors if they work at a hotel w/o shower curtains.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 10:31 PM

Sorry but shower curtains are not a priority in Italy, if we were too name hotels we would run out of space. Go with the flow (sorry for the pun) and accept that this is the way it is and one of your least concerns.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:08 PM

Stayed at La Calcina last October. Shower curtain was there.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. In a TV show, Everybody loves Raymond, there was a scene in which Ray was washed by his relative in an Italian bath tub with no shower curtain, and I learnt how to use such a facility properly. But, In a hotel, I much prefer taking shower standing up. I'll keep researching hotels including La Calcina!<BR>
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 06:51 AM

Our room at the Locando Leon Bianco had a standing shower stall w/ a door.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:05 AM

We stayed at Hotel Firenze ([email protected]) last May. Our room had tub with shower and curtain.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:41 AM
GAC

As labor costs in Europe and elsewhere are on the rise, and as hotels are updated from time to time, more and more properties in Italy are adding either shower curtains or doors. Nevertheless, some luxury properties prefer a partial water splash to a curtain, because the latter is considered too cheap.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:55 AM
jor

I stayed at a hostel, not a 3 star hotel, in Praque.<BR><BR>It of course was a group bathroom which not only didn't have shower curtains, the four shower heads were on a raised concrete stage in front of the entire sink and toilet area of the bathroom. It was like being in a stage performance of the Full Monty!!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:03 AM

This is not meant to be rude but &quot;In a TV show, Everybody loves Raymond, there was a scene in which Ray was washed by his relative in an Italian bath tub with no shower curtain, and I learnt how to use such a facility properly.&quot; made me laugh out loud! Please don't tell me that you expect to experience Italy based on what you've seen on an American sitcom! Oh you are in for a treat!!!<BR><BR>Wendy
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:21 AM

SaraLee, love your pastries by the way, if the idea of not having a shower curtain throws you, you had better toughen up a little before your trip, especially if staying in 2-3 star hotels. You are going to encounter many things &quot;foreign&quot; to you, the least of which is the lack of shower curtains. <BR><BR>Try to talk to someone you know who has been to Europe on a budget and find out what really surprised them, then you will be ready to face your curtainless shower. <BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:22 AM

Many hotels in Italy just have partial splash boards. It's hard to get used to, particularly if you're there in the cold months. It's just a really big incentive to take your shower as quickly as you possibly can because the only warm part of your body will be the part with the hot water directly on it. Realistically though, it's so much better to have a shower in your room, curtain or no, than to share a community shower. You get used to it and it's just one more quirky thing about your trip.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:26 AM

I reread my post and it sounds condescending, I didn't mean to, I just wanted you to know that many things will be different and may go wrong so be prepared.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:28 PM

I'm curious, why would a bathroom without a shower curtain need to be avoided? Is it the fact that some water might get on the bathroom floor? I've had this a couple times and, while finding it curious at first, never have had a problem with it. In fact, in the locanda we stayed at in Siena last spring, we loved the fact that there was no shower curtain because we could view all the beautiful marble in the bathroom while showering. <BR><BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

It is a simple preference of mine to stand and be liberal with splashing water in shower. That's all. <BR> <BR>Thank you PamSF, Sandi_travelnut, and Giovanna for data that I can use. For others, I thank you, too. I enjoyed reading your responses as much. They are interesting, fun, and even educational. Isn't this BB good!!<BR><BR>By the way, I heard of a standing-up-toilet. I was wondering if I should ask how a female use it....<BR><BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:19 PM

very carefully!!!!!!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 10:39 PM

I should have added that fixing the plumbing is not done with urgency in Italy as it might be in the US of A.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 04:25 AM

Advice concerning curtainless showers: be sure to remove toilet tissue from the room before you shower! And remember to replace it after...<BR>Byrd