Reload this Page >

Venice for a day

Search

Venice for a day

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 10:16 AM
Mark McIntyre

Venice for a day

OK, I know the concept of Venice in a day is cruel and unusual punishment, but I have been invited to stay with friends in Provence for two weeks in April. One of the weekends is Easter weekend. I have never been to Venice, and have longed to visit there ever since I was 9 when I cut out articles about St. Mark's for a school project (I am now 43). There is an overnight train from Nice to Venice. So I can take the train Saturday night, arrive in Venice Easter Sunday morning as the sun rises, spend a day in Venice, then take the midnight train back to Nice. Somewhat extravagant and impossibly romantic, but there it is. <BR> <BR>If you had one day to spend in Venice, what would you do? I arrive around 6am and depart at 11:30 pm. <BR> <BR>I will take photos and record the day and post on my website for all who are interested. <BR> <BR>Thanks for participating.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 01:24 PM
howard

I think what you are doing is GREAT! My compliments. The minute you step off the train, walk out of the station and see the Grand Canal before you at daybreak, you will immediately know that you're in for one incredible and memorable day! <BR>What to do? For starters, wander the maze of narrow streets and little canals and get lost. Don't worry, you're supposed to get lost in Venice....and besides, you've got until 11:30 p.m. to find your way back to the station! <BR>You might also think about taking a ride along the Grand Canal in a vaporetto as the sun in going down! <BR>Just writing about Venice brings a great smile to my face and brightens my day. <BR>Enjoy! <BR>P.S.: Bring lots of film! Every corner you turn is a photo op!

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 01:54 PM
Monica

Hi Mark, <BR> <BR>With one day I too would just wander around the streets taking in the views and snapping away with my camera and lots of film. I would take the vaporetto from the train station and head to San Marco (I belive #1 is the "slow" boat, which stops at every stop, so you can enjoy the views. Venice is too lovely, so I wouldn't bother with museums or other inside sights, with the exception of going into the Basilica and even climbing the stairs to the top for great views of the area. Find a cafe on the Grand canal and have lunch and watch the boats, gondolas and everyone go by.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 02:37 PM
Mark McIntyre

Howard and Monica: <BR>Thank you for the perfect itinerary. <BR>Getting lost sounds most appropriate...perhaps that is the only way to be truly found. <BR>Cheers, <BR>Mark

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 08:23 PM
rlk

- <BR>Mark: <BR> <BR>I'd start with a vaporetto ride down the Grand Canal. Since you're arriving early, you can take either the no. 1 (the 'slow - pokey' boat that makes all the stops) OR the no. 82 (a bit quicker as it doesn't make as many stops). <BR> <BR>And in keeping with the "when in rome" philosophy or I guess in this instance it's 'when in venice', I'd see about attending Easter services, preferably at St. Mark's. Or another beautiful church is 'Chiesa dei Frari' (Church of the Frari). <BR>When in St. Mark's Square, you can go up the bell tower (Campanile di San Marco) for a great view of the city. The original tower collapsed in early 1900's --- what's there now is an exact replica, but it does sport a 20th century elevator so, no stairs, makes it easier to experience the grand vista of Venice. <BR> <BR>I'd tour the Doges Palace --- and after that find someplace to sit & relax for a leisurely lunch. <BR> <BR>However now that i think of it, I don't know if certain sites (like the Doges Palace) may be closed on Easter. <BR>

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 10:36 PM
Holly

Mark - Nothing (except, perhaps, a laundromat) will be closed in Venice on Easter. If you take the vaporetto from the train station down the Grand Canal, be sure to take #1 (the slow ride), as they're pushing people onto #82 (more direct, but not down the Grand Canal) to San Marco. This is for tourist vs. locals-trying-to-get-somewhere reasons and, justifiably so, but the real feel is on the #1 waterbus. Have your camera loaded and ready to go. <BR> <BR>You're looking at a very LONG day in Venice (would be a long day anywhere) and there are a myriad of suggestions that could be made as to how to spend your time. Easter Sunday will be VERY crowded in Venice, and I would suggest heading straight for San Marco and the basilica as soon as you arrive in Venice. You can e-mail me at [email protected] for further suggestions.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 06:24 AM
marija

When you arrive at a church Easter morning you will not be allowed to enter for a tourist visit. Instead you must be prepared to attend the service and you must tell the ushers, etc. that you are there to pray and not as a tourist. Otherwise you will be turned away.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 03:12 PM
topper

Up to the top for Carrie.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Mary

We recently did an "express" visit to Venice from Nice. We did have a rental car. It took us about six hours to get there, and had the weather been more cooperative, it should have been a scenic drive. We got to Venice around four in the afternoon,parked the car, secured a hotel, and went off exploring, and had an incredible time. <BR> <BR>Go for it.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 11:08 AM
trish

I don't know if they will be open on Easter, my guess is not but when my husband and I were there, we toured a huge glass showroom. We had been walking St. Marks by all the touristy shops and showed interest in a chandelier or something and the propietor of the smaller shop asked us if we would like a tour of their bigger showroom. After going down several narrow alleyways, we crossed a canal and entered the foyer. It was like being in a glass museum after hours - all the different kinds of Venetian glass, plus the antique fixtures of the old Palazzo it was housed in, remains one of my favorite memories of the trip.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 11:48 AM
dale

i visit venice twice a year (going back 22 feb). howard is right on! get lost! there is nowhere in the world like venezia!

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Mark McIntyre

Hi All, <BR>Thanks again for all the advice and sharing your experiences. Taking the #1 seems imperative as does getting lost after attending services at one of the smaller churches... the Chiesa dei Frari sounds just right. <BR>The Peggy Guggenheim is another possibility, but I will play it by ear...or nose! A big Easter feast seems in order...any suggestions for a good restaurant that you have enjoyed? <BR>Grazie, <BR>Mark