Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

For all you Carry On Luggage Advocates - what exactly do you use?

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Eva

I am sending this out to all of you who never check your luggage - what size and type of luggage do you use? Is it a backpack? I am going shopping next weekend for this!!!

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 01:13 PM
elvira

I don't find backpacks comfortable, so my carry-on of choice is a 21" black cloth rolling bag w/zipper pouch in front and handles on top and side; paid $19.99 at KMart

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 01:26 PM
pam

I have an Eagle Creek briefcase that has hideaway backpack straps. Used that for 2 wks in Italy, '99. Also have an EC switchback compact (wheels/backpack straps). It was a gift; don't know that I would have spent that much myself.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 01:29 PM
lisa

Mine is from Eagle Creek, a convertible backpack/rolling carryon suitcase, with a detachable zip-off daypack. I think it's called a "switchback." It comes in 3 sizes and I think mine is the medium size. I absolutely love it. Pricey but seems indestructible, holds everything, any spills or dirt wipe right off, and the wheels roll very effortlessly. I got mine at REI; you can also get it through REI's website and at eaglecreek.com and at ebags.com and a bunch of other places. I rarely use the backpack straps on it and usually just leave them stowed into their pocket, but it is nice to have them when you have to go up several flights of stairs or something where wheels aren't convenient. LOVE the zip-off daypack and use it all the time, with or without the larger piece. I shopped around for a long time before deciding on this one.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 01:51 PM
janice

Mine is from Jansport - only cost $50 through ebags - and is a convertible backpack/side-handled/top-handle bag, with wheels. I low-balled the price because I tend to change bags about every third trip (i.e. once a year at least) but I'm liking this one quite a bit. 3000 cubic inch capacity,(I was just in Paris/Venice for two weeks and this and a handbag were all I took), fits in the overhead, not horrible as a backpack (but be aware of where the wheels wind up on you) and rolls very well. You're smart to be looking into advice before you shop - it can be pretty confusing. I really suggest that you get some idea of what capacity you need, and how much weight you can handle, before you go shopping. This gives you some criteria you can use to sort through the options so you don't get swamped with choices.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:41 AM
xxx

I'm wondering what airlines all you carry-on advocates are using. We were not permitted to carry on our carry on luggage on Luftansa in late '99 because they claimed it was too big. The only part that was problematic was the wheels. Yet when we were on the plane, it seemed everyone was carrying on bag far larger than what we were forced to check.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:01 AM
Brian in Atlanta

American airlines seem to be much more lenient than European airlines.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 05:44 AM
Gina

It's also somewhat a function of the airport, I think. I had a carry-on that was well within the size limits of BA, the airline I was flying, but the counter agent at Schiphol in Amsterdam weighed it, found it too heavy for carry-on and said I had to check it. The same carry-on, packed pretty much the same, had made it easily through check-in at various times at London Heathrow, DCA, and Newark. I have read that Schiphol is particularly strict about size and weight limits.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 06:09 AM
ilisa

We ran into problems at Schiphol, but personally, I think it had more to do with the individual airline. My husband and I had problems with our carryons, except they were with Tower Air. The counter agent looked at my bag (didn't weigh it) and declared it too big, even though it is within normal specifications had virtually nothing in it, and has been carried on numerous flights before. However, my husband's bag which was about the same size (and packed full) was allowed to be carried on the plane. When I mentioned it to the flight attendant on the plane, she said it was because the plane came from Bombay and was already full, so the agents had to limit the number of carry-ons at Amsterdam. I still don't buy it.