Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice, Cinque Terre, thru Tuscany to Amalfi? (from Canada)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three ladies...want to do this trip in 3 weeks (from Canada). Any suggestions as to how long to stay in Venice. Then best route to Cinque Terre? Then train down thru the Tuscany? Can we get off for two nights and where would be the best place to get off, visit a winery, nice meal, see some of the countryside. Then train down to Amalfi Coast...spend 5 days in ?? (Postiano).....visit Capir for a day....back and fly out of Rome to Vancouver, Canada.......any suggestions here??? Leaving in May; 2010.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
ok, mom, you've got 21 days, which probably gives you 20 or so nights actually in Europe, and you want to do Venice, the CT, Tuscany, Amalfi, and Rome.

this is what I would do:

Venice - 4 nights, train to

CT - 3 nights, train to

siena - 5 nights, train to

Positano - 4 nights [day trip to Capri?], train to

Rome - 4 nights.

that's 20 nights all together.

if you were prepared to rent a car in tuscany, you could stay somewhere outside a town; otherwise you need to be somewhere with buses/trains etc. to get around. Siena is alrge enoguh to have things to do, small enough to get a handle on, and a good contrast with the other places you are going to.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM

Unless you have alredy been to Rome IMHO it is a real error to visit Italy and not visit. I mean Ancient Rome ruled a good part of the world for at least 500 years - and the catholic church for a thousand after that.

Also - if you really want to see any of Tuscany you need to rent a car and visit several of the hill towns. If for some reason you prefer not to drive some can be done by train or bus - but it can be very time-consuming.

Positano is cute - but a small village. In May the traffic is not too bad, but I think you need to decide what you want to see in the area - Pompeii? Archeo Museum in Naples? - and check out transit before you decide where to stay. Also, a good part of the Amalfi coast - includig Positano is nearly vertical - so be prepared for stairs - lots and lots of stairs.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, we did a similar trip about 10 years ago but had 5 weeks. You could do a trip in 3 weeks though, just narrow down where you stay. We started in Rome, then travelled by train down to Sorrento where we had 6 nights and did day trips by bus to Positano, Amalfi, Ravello etc. Sorrento is a lot bigger than Positano but we preferred it as a base. If you do a search on this forum you'll find a lot of different opinions on where to stay on the Amalfi Coast. Each to their own.

Then we caught the train up to Orvieto, a beautiful hilltop town in Umbria. The Duomo there is stunning. Then to San Gimignano for a few nights. San G is a lovely small medieval town which gets loads of bus tours which stop for an hour or two. At night it's quieter and full of atmosphere. On to Lucca for a few nights, not a must see in my opinion, train to La Spezia then swap to the local train to the Cinque Terre villages. We stayed in Manarola for 4 nights, probably one night too many. We visited all the villages, Vernazza was the prettiest and most touristy, Monterrosso al Mare is the biggest but they are all pretty small.

Then we travelled to Venice, changing trains in Milan. I've visited Venice 3 times, to me it's a magical place. I would suggest a minimum of 3 full days there to get a good feel for the place. We flew back home to Australia out of Rome.

If you'd like any of the websites for where we stayed, just sing out and I'll have a search. Hope this helps a bit in your planning.

Kay
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 04:42 AM

I visited Italy many times before spending any time in Roma. Some people feel a need to travel formulaically, but I don't and I've never regretted my choice. Also, the Byazantine emprire ruled much more of the world than the Roman empire did, and for much longer (even when you toss in the Catholic Church). And the Venetian Republic, whose history includes Napoleon and in the Austro-Hungarian empire, rivals the worldwide influence of Roma.

If you don't want to rent a car in Tuscany, filling in with taxis and buses and drivers can be cost effective and a fun way to visit wineries and see something of the countryside. You might look into staying in a town like Panzano (in Chianti country) for an experience of the countryside but with a good bus connection to Florence (Firenze).
Old Dec 24th, 2009, 04:53 AM

So happy to see your post and get the feedback people have given you as my friend and I are planning a similar trip in October 2010. We are from Ontario. I will be very anxious to hear from you after your trip. We plan to fly to Venice, stay 3 nights, go to Cinque Terre for 3 nights, rent a car and a villa for a week and do Tuscany, Florence, Siena, etc. , then drop car and go to Sorreento area for about 4 days and finish off in Rome and fly home from there. That's our plan at the moment. All suggestions for accomodations, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM

KayF, I would like to know where you stayed in Manarola? I have my eye on this place: http://ariadimare.info/sitoeng.html run by the brother of the man that runs Trattoria Billy. Thank you .
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 12:55 AM

Hi Maudie,
This is where we stayed in Manarola -

http://www.casacapellini-5terre.it/index.htm

In the photo of the tall house, we had one of the rooms that opened out on to the balcony - good for sitting sipping wine from the little supermarket or drying clothes! The view from our balcony was the same as the photo in the top of the website, it was actually better than that in real life.

It's near the top of the village, just below the church and two other B&Bs. It's quite a steep walk up from the train station but you can stop and turn around to admire the view when you get puffed. The room was very basic with a private shower and toilet. This was a number of years ago but we didn't have the room made up or fresh towels or anything for the whole 4 days which surprised us a little. We had to pay cash as well, it was reasonably cheap which is why we chose it. It was a typical Italian B&B - bed but no breakfast! We went to a bar in the village for coffee and a pastry.

If you want more info on Manarola or the area, I'll try and help.
Kay
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 05:24 AM

Hi Kay, thanks so much for the link. We really want somewhere that has a balcony for the very same reasons as you! I will put that one on my list.

We don't need anything fancy but as long as it is clean. The place we are looking at doesn't serve breakfast or have a kitchen but the balcony looks great. I don't want to hijack this thread any further so I may ask some questions later. Again thank you for your help.

Maudie
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Hi Maudie, the place we stayed in Manarola was clean when we arrived though not cleaned while we were there. It was fine though very basic and the view was sublime. There is a steep walk up to that part of the village with steps inside the house as well, I think we were on the 3rd floor. Still, it meant we could eat all the pasta and gelati we wanted

Happy to help with other questions, we explored a lot in the villages over our 4 days. If you start another thread, perhaps you could make a note here and I'll keep an eye out.

Happy planning.
Kay
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Granted that the Byzantine Empire also ruled a large area (more or less) for a significant amount of time - that has noting to do with visiting Italy without seeing Rome. It would make just as little sense to visit Turkey and ignore Istanbul.

As for the influence of Venice - granted it was a major trading power for several hundred years - but it didn't directly shape the history of large parts of the world - as did both the Roman empire and the Catholic Church (including large parts of the new world).
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 04:54 AM

But people visit Turkey all the time without going to Istanbul! They have a great time and learn a great deal about the country and its people, and the relationship of Turkey, ancient and modern, to today's world.

Yes, nytraveler, you see travel a certain fixed conventional way -- but that doesn't mean other Italian itineraries, taken in a different order, aren't equally rewarding or educational.

Venice is a World Heritage Site, and to be one, a place has to meet certain criteria. One of them is influence, and here is how Venice made the cut:

:The influence of Venice on the development of architecture and monumental arts has been considerable. It first made its impact in all the trading markets and stations of the Most Serene Republic along the shore of Dalmatia, in Asia Minor and Egypt, in the islands of Ionian Sea, in Euboea, in Peloponnesus, in Crete, and in Cyprus, where the monuments built were inspired by Venetian models. But at the time when this empire of the seas experienced its first defeats, Venice founded a school of very different type, thanks to its painters. Bellini and Giorgione, then Titian, Tintoretto, Veronese and Tiepolo so profoundly changed the perception of space, light and colour that they made a decisive mark on trends in painting and decoration in Europe."

And we haven't even gotten to Palladio, whom the New York Times only last year described as probably the most influential of all Western architects -- and that is saying a lot.

It doesn't make sense to you to travel differently than how you like to travel. Obvious. But that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense!
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 06:41 AM

I guess I made a horrible mistake by visiting the following cities on my first trip to Italy: Milan, Torino, Padova, Venice, Vicenza, Florence--no Rome. Perhaps that's why I've felt the need to make more than 20 more trips to Italy since that first trip. (I started in Rome on the second trip.)

Create your itinerary around the places YOU want to see. Your interests and priorities are sure to be different from mine or others on this forum.

Annhig has presented good timing for your wish list.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks ellenem

like you i didn't get to Rome on my first trip to Italy - in fact it took over 30 years and several trips in between before I made it there.

and I was furious with myself for neglecting it. DH, OTOH, could take or leave it, but can't get enough of Venice. still, I've persuaded him to go back for anther week in February, with tickets for the rugby as the lure.