Venice - Best Place to Get Gondola

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to do a gondola ride at sunset during our week in Venice.

We like the suggestion of staying on the smaller canals, rather than the Grand Canal.

Can anyone tell me the best spot to hire a gondola and what we tell him as far as where we would like to go?
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:03 PM
rex

While there is no uniform opinion of one best place, I'd urge you to try the "Bassino" right in front of Hotel San Gallo. Go to ww.venere.com and search for San Gallo. Click on "location" - - you'll see where I mean.

By startiong there, you HAVE to go through a lot of little canals. The gondoliere will inevitably take you to Bridge of Sighs from there (Ponte dei Sospire, if there is any doubt - - you can mention this). And getting there from your starting point pretty much requires a labyrinth of little canals.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:20 PM

My family spent about 20 minutes walking about and watching the gondoliers until we spotted 1 in the San Marco area who we thought we could get along with for the 45-minute ride. We walked up to him and negotiated the price, asked for a 45-minute ride. Just tell him that you want to go on the smaller canals, for 45 minutes, and agree on the price.

We decided that while we were speaking with him, if he didn't have the right vibrations, we would move on and find another one!

As my teenage daughters were 16 and 17 at the time, they very much enjoyed the process of helping to select the gondolier! Ended up with a tall young man with a deep voice...he was great.

Old May 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM

If handsome, sexy, muscular, smart, with a great smile matters (not to mention a pretty boat), seek out <b>Mario</b>, who typically hangs at Rio dei Santi Apostoli near Al Vagon. Feel free to tell him the tall, leggy blonde from NYC sent you and I'm <b>sure</b> he'll offer you a deal. (Too bad he's married.)
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:26 PM

How much do they usually charge for a 45-min ride?
Old May 16th, 2005, 08:34 PM
rex

See http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...by_gondola.htm and other info cited on http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34568805
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:27 AM

When we were there a year ago people were negotiating everywhere from $50- $75. We were with a tour that hired 3 gondolas to go out together with one guy singing and also an accordian player. We were 3 people in a boat, rather crowded! We got our gondola beside San Marco Square on the Grand Canal but it immediately took the first small canal entrance and we went all around homes, shops, the opera house, etc. Very clean and no odors. I had heard there would be lots of trash in the water but saw none. The gondoliers asked one of the teenage girls in our party to meet him later. She and her Mother met him and went out for gelato and had a great time. We all did. You will love it!
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:31 AM

I should have said we had 3 COUPLES in the boat for a total of 6 people plus the gondolier. OK, but only the 2 in the &quot;nice&quot; seat were comfortable. You will see what I mean when you get there.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:30 PM

Forgive my need for clarification, I will be in Venice with my mother, 3 teenagers and my husband. Should we take one Gondola or two? My mom and kids in one, my husband and I in another? OK I just answered my own question..The teenage girls are cute and I am not sure my mom will watch the &quot;Let's go for gelato line.&quot; What to do!!
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:23 PM

Kmh, easy, LOL, just hire real older and ugly gondoliers!!! Put Mom and the teens in one and you and your DH go in the other. Enjoy!