Directions to my Venice Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be arriving in Venice next week by train after dark, and know that Venice can be confusing for someone not familiar with the city. I have a reservervation at the Pensione Accademia in Dorsoduro, but have not been able to get the hotel to respond to my requests for directions (hope that's not a bad sign).

I understand I can catch the vaporetto at the train station and get off at the stop near the Accademia, but I am unsure of how to procede from that point.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 11:50 AM

You most likely will catch the #1 boat but you can take the #82 (express) if it's still running. You'll want the dock that illustrates the arrows in the direction of San Marco and/or Lido. You'll exit at the Accademia and walk to the right of the museum. You'll enter the first calle on your right called, Gambara which becomes Corfu and ends at the San Trovaso Canal (Trattoria San Travaso on your right). Turn left at the canal and cross the first bridge on your right. Turn right after the bridge (Fondamenta Bollani) and walk straight to the Grand Canal (no turns). You will walk directly into the gated garden entrance of Pensione Accademia which is clearly signed.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 11:54 AM

Trattoria San Trovaso will actually be on yourleft. All else is as posted.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:04 PM

You're wrong, Peggy Ann.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:26 PM

Of course, I will apologize if I'm wrong. I've walked this route hundreds of times and I'm speaking from memory. But, considering my age and the reliability of my brain these days, I could be wrong. None of my Venice maps indicate the correct location of Taverna San Travaso, including this Italian one:

http://ristoranti.ombra.net/pages/in...mp;idas=110373

Also, calle Corfu's full name is Contarini Corfu.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:26 PM

Peggyann is correct
here is a picture from the Venice for Visitors webpage
http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...an_trovaso.jpg
view is on the Fondamenta Priuli facing towards the Grand Canal. To go from the Accademia to the Pensione, one would be walking away from the Grand Canal and toward the Fondamenta Bollani - the Taverna San Trovaso would be on the left.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 12:32 PM

The location of the restaurant is sort of irrelevant....turn left at the canal as NYCFoodSnob advised.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 01:00 PM

Judy's right but I hate being wrong. Peggyann is also correct. For some reason I see Taverna San Trovaso at the canal's edge. I haven't eaten there in over a decade but you can't miss it and the lines of poorly dressed Americans waiting to get in. I'm sorry, Peggyann.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 01:50 PM

Hey, we ate there (it was, fortunately, not our best Venice dining experience) at the recommendation of the front desk at Pensione Accademia...we were not poorly dressed!!
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:42 PM

Sorry, Judy. You must have already been seated by the time I walked by. Plus, I didn't say that "all" the Americans dining there were poorly dressed. Some Americans actually believe dining there is a "special" experience and do wear their Sunday best (or Saturday if you're Jewish). Oh well.