COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

gondola

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

gondola

hi,
Anybody please help me about this?
Is there any need to book gondola in advance?
In which web site i need to book
Thanks
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

sorry In venice?
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 09:11 AM

there always seems to be a surplus of gondolas beckoning folks in when i've been there. I guess if you want one at your canalside hotel then yes - otherwise just go to gondola centrale where dozens of them are corraled near San Marco.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 09:23 AM

No, never. They're to be found around most of the major bridges in Venice and on the San Marco waterfront of course (Riva degli Schiavoni) but you'll pay more on the waterfront and other areas in and around San Marco, then you will if you head to Ca d'Oro vaporetto stop in Cannaregio, and take a gondola ride from there-there's a nice gondoliere station on the bridge right as you get off the vaporetto at Ca d'Oro and hang a left on the Strada Nova-make sure to bargain with them, think of some reason they should give you a discount-the gondoliere are far more willing to bargain the further away from San Marco you go! Have fun-it's a great treat, especially after rush hour around 7:00-7:30pm!

Also, here are the official gondola tariffs for Venice on their English website (don't forget, you can still bargain downwards from these rates-they'll respect you if you do!)

www.gondolavenezia.it/history_tariffe.asp?Pag=43
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help.
i found one web site
http://cityguide-europe.com/it/venice/tours/
Is this prices are good?
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Wizkid, your website is for, I believe, a tour rate for the group gondola rides-which are perfectly nice-you get a gondoliere who serenades one or two gondola boats full of tourists (depending on the tourist traffic and season) so the rate is obviously lower than if you take a private gondola on your own.

The website I cited is the official gondoliere association website, linked to the Venice city hall website, as the city of Venice wants tourists to know what the official rates are, so they can know they are not being ripped off when they want to book a gondola on their own. (and most all the gondoliere speak some English, some are nearly fluent in the language).

However, a tour with serenade such as you found is a good deal, and looks to be quite enjoyable-I've passed those serenades many a night on the Grand Canal, and everyone looked and sounded as if they were enjoying themselves, so I'd say that would be a good alternative to the higher priced private gondola rides.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:30 AM

It seems as though i've seen a flotilla of gondolas being 'seranaded' by a lone accordion player - so you may wonder what seranaded means exactly.