Venice neighborhoods - near Rialto Bridge vs San Marco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We will be taking our first trip to Italy in Sept 2005, and originally were hoping to stay in a hotel near San Marco in Venice. We like staying near the bustle of a city's main commericial and tourist center - packed streets, lots of sites, restaurants, etc. However, the hotels here are out of our budget (since we are looking to spend ~$150 US). Based on recommendations from another thread, we are looking into Hotel Bernardi, but I believe this hotel is located near the Rialto Bridge area. How different is "life" here from the San Marco area? How far of a walk is it to San Marco and the other main attractions?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Jean
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:14 AM

I can't comment on the hotel, but the Rialto area is also quite busy. It is less than a ten minute easy walk between the two.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:35 AM
ira

Hi d,

The Bernardi is a much better choice.

You can get a zoomable map of Venice at www.mappy.com, www.viamichelin.com, www.multimap.com.

The Rialto Bridge is the other commercial center of Venice.

Be sure to visit the fish market in the early morning.

Buy some saffron.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:49 AM

Just as Statia stated, an easy 10 minute walk between the two. I actually think the Rialto area is more convenient for the vaporetto and it's a quick walk to Canareggio (Strada Nuova). Also, the Rialto Bridge gets you to the other side of the Grand Canal quick and easy.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:06 AM

We loved the Rialto bridge area. Some really great shopping and our favorite restaurants were closer to Rialto than San Marco. I agree with the pp who said that it was easier to catch a vaporetto there than from San Marco.

With the vaporettos, it is really easy to get almost anywhere in Venice. But even on foot, it is a fabulous walk from Rialto to San Marco. We loved Venice - such a romantic maze!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:17 AM

We're off for our first visit to Venice on Saturday and are staying in the Antica Venezia First Class Inn, booked through Venere.com It seems to be right by St Marks square and is costing us 110 euros per night. It has some good reviews on Venere - I can tell you more next week, when we get back.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 02:46 AM

Albergo Guerrato is a good bet. It is on a quiet street between the market and the Rialto bridge. The location is near perfect and it is in your price range.