Venice Airport Transfer via ACTV

Aug 1st, 2012, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Venice Airport Transfer via ACTV

The owner of our Venice vacation rental has instructed us to take the ACTV from the aiport to the Spirito Santo water bus stop.

We will be purchasing the 72-hour vaporetto pass and my question is if this pass also includes use for our airport transfer, or is the ACTV a completely different line/company offering transportation services?

We will be arriving on 9/11/2012 at approximately 8:15 PM. We will be 5 adults traveling with one piece of baggage each.

I'm confused by all the different services/options.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Aug 1st, 2012, 05:39 PM

Route 1: Land Bus from Airport to Piazzale Roma; then Vaporetto (water bus) to Hotel
ACTV is the public transport organization, which includes some land buses and the vaporetto, the water bus system of Venice. However, the vaporetto pass no longer includes the ACTV bus or the Airport-Piazzale Roma bus. You must purchase a separate ticket, which in March cost 5 euro. It is the same company, but they just decided to no longer include the airport route in the pass.

There is also another bus company AVTO (a private bus company) that does this route for about the same price.

Route 2: Shared Alilaguna Boat from airport directly to different stop in Venice
The Alilaguna boat is a private boat directly from the airport dock (5 minute walk to dock from terminal) to Venice, with different routes running at different scheduled times. The Zaterre stop on the Blue line is not too far from Santo Spirito. Costs 15 euro each.

Route 3: Private Water Taxi
A private water taxi will take you from the airport dock to as close a location to your destination as it can possibly get. Typical fare from the airport would be about 100 euro, more if it is considered a night rate.
Aug 1st, 2012, 05:51 PM

So you will be arriving in the dark in a strange city, taking a vaporetto - with luggage - to a specific stop - to then find your way through dark, narrow streets (often with no signs) and over bridges to your apartment - where you hope someone will meet you?

What is the plane is late?
What if someone's luggage is delayed?
Is everyone capable of carrying their luggage over bridges?
Do you have a VERY detailed street map (many streets in Venice look like alleys other places - since there are no streets) showing exactly how to get from the vaporetto stop to the building?
Do you have a 24 hour phone number for the people supposed to meet you at the apartment?

I love Venice - and to me the dark, narrow streets are romantic and fascinating - but I'm not sure I would want to be finding my way with luggage at that time of night. Can you arrange to call someone when you leave the airport - so they can meet you at the vaporetto stop to guide you to the lodgings?
Aug 1st, 2012, 06:46 PM

To a newbie, the boat system in Venice is confusing. We've all been there. The numbers changed recently, so much of the info on the internet is old and useless.

Your 72-hour vaporetto pass is good for the vaporettos. You need a separate ticket for the Alilaguna boats, which you can purchase online.

The Alilaguna boats have specific stops, but unfortunately, Santo Spirito is not one of them. The Zattere stop is the closest, if you don't mind walking a bit.

The easiest trip is Alilaguna Blue to Zattere, but it takes about 90 minutes. You could easily end up at your door by Midnight, if the schedule doesn't work in your favor.

A little faster but slightly more complicated is take a street bus to Piazzale Roma, catch the #6 Vaporetto to Santo Spirito.

To be perfectly honest, arriving at night is not easy. If you go the cheap route, you could be inviting all kinds of problems. I would splurge on a private water taxi, or try to secure a shared one, and be taken directly to Santo Spirito, or as close as you can get by private boat. It's much less stress.
Aug 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I appreciate the help; I think the bus/vaporetto combination might be best.
Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM

I just checked the schedule and it looks like the last #6 boat to San Spirito from P. Roma leaves at 8:19 PM, and arrives San Spirito at 8:34 PM. No boats stop at San Spirito after 8:34 PM. That means, if you want to get to your apartment by vaporetto, Zattere, Accademia, and Salute are your only choices, and the last stop at Salute is 12:17 AM on the #1. All three stops require walking and bridge hopping with your luggage. Zattere may be the easiest schlep, depending on the precise location of the apt.

I would write the apartment owner and ask for input. Many apt agents charge an extra fee to supply keys at "off" hours. This is where a meet-n-greet service comes in handy. Some apt agents offer that service, also at an extra fee. Good luck.
Aug 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM

Sherry,

Others will know better than me, but I thought the private water taxi fare was per taxi, not per person. So if it's 100 euro, and you've said there are 5 people in your party, that's 20 euro (plus any extra for luggage and nighttime) per person. Perhaps not as cheap as ACTV/vaporetto pass, but maybe worth considering, given the factors others have mentioned?
Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM

RMMR2, That's the point I was trying to make, but I did not realize the OP might htink the 100 euro was per person. If I were traveling in this situation, I would definitely be opting fo the water taxi--quickest and easiest at that late arrival hour.
Aug 2nd, 2012, 06:33 PM

We have arrived by bus, train and Alilaguna. The Aliluguna was a few weeks ago and we arrived mid-morning. We took it because we thought it would be nice to enter by boat (there were seven of us) and the private water taxi was too expensive. Also, we knew we could get off at our stop and purchasing a round-trip ticket (for a very early Saturday morning return to the airport) as attractive.

Why I would take the bus to Piazzale Roma next time: Long, long walk from the airport to the Alilaguna departure point, dragging luggage. It seemed especially long because we had just come off of an 8.5 hour flight and it was hotter than hell. Then, once in the waiting area, we sat for close to an hour, in the stifling heat, waiting for the boat crew to return from a break.

The buses are right at the airport, if I remember correctly, and air-conditioned. You can use your vaporetto passes to get from Piazzale Roma to San Spirito.

The best way, IMHO, is to arrive by train. Exit the depot and Venice, in all its glory, smacks you in the face (in a nice way)
Aug 2nd, 2012, 07:12 PM

The walking distance from the airport terminal to the airport dock (for both Alilaguna and privaate water taxis) is about 500 meters, just less than one-third mile.
Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:32 AM

Mel - just curious - how much did the water taxi guys tell you the cost would be for 7 people? I was at the airport a couple of weeks ago and I could have sworn I saw a sign at the water taxi docks that said "water taxi to Venice - 120 euros" but.. this could be for four people with a surcharge for additional people. Just curious what they quoted you.

Probably the best thing for the OP to do is, ask the apartment contact for the second closest vaporetto stop. I find it odd that the contact would recommend a vaporetto stop that has no boats at the hour of arrival, but who knows maybe they never take that boat.

The #5 aerobus has gone up to 6 euros, make sure to buy your tickets inside the airport before you get on the bus and validate them once you get on.
Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:27 AM

There is a shuttle bus from the airport to the boats.
Also, is the OP being met at the vaporetto stop? On a recent trip, I phoned the agent from Marco Polo when I arrived. I told him when we were a short distance from the stop and he met us.
Being a local, he was able to take us by a very complicated route that avoided the larger bridges
Aug 3rd, 2012, 02:06 AM

Sherry, I did some googling and you can pre-book a water taxi for 100 euros for 5 people. You should take the above advice and take the water taxi. If the bus is going to cost 6 euros, that means this is only 14 euros more per person. 14 euros for an extra hour or two relaxation your first night? Priceless.
Here's the link -
http://www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng/
The only thing is you need to put a hotel address on the booking form - I guess you could put the name of the apartment and the address in Dorsoduro.

Maybe it is the same to go from the airport into town without booking in advance, maybe someone has some recent experience and can chime in.

Miss Prism, has the shuttle bus been started up again? I definitely did not see one in my trips in May and July.
Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:44 AM

Definitely take the water taxi. You won't have to transfer or worry about schedules. It is a great way to see Venice for the first time to. Also, if you split the cost, as mentioned above, it will only be around 20 euros a person, certainly worth it in my opinion.
Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:53 AM

Rialto girl, the water taxi was quoted to us at 120e and, because there were seven of us, we would have had to take two.

The Alilaguna was 26e round trip per person.

The OP is only five, which would allow them to all be in one taxi, I think. The five pieces of luggage could be too much for the speedboat. If it all fits, and they don't charge extra for the bags (which regular taxis do in France, at least), the 120 divided by five would only be about 22e each but that has to be doubled if they take it back to the airport.

44e for a private, direct ride to the hotel stop vs. 26e for the Aliliguna? I'd opt for the water taxi.
Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM

I think the OP said each person would have 1 bag. 5 people and 5 bags will fit in the water taxi easily. Between me and my boyfriend last August we had 4 pieces of luggage and my handbag. You pay a fixed rate (ours was either 100 or 110); there is no extra charge for luggage.
Aug 3rd, 2012, 11:08 AM

It seems to me the key thing is that the OP is arriving in the evening - and by the time they get through immigration and customs it will be later still. It appears vaporetto to that stop doesn;t run that late. Does Alliguna? I would think 100 euros for 5 people won;t be much more than other options.

My concerns would be"

1) making sure someone will meet them at the apartment with a key that late

2) making sure there is someone to help them get from the dock to the apartment (which can be quite tricky after dark)
Aug 3rd, 2012, 11:22 AM

The last Blue Line Alilaguna departs the airport at 12:15 AM. If the OP lands at 8:15 PM, with fingers crossed, they should be able to catch the 9:15 boat, which arrives Zattere just before 11 PM. With luggage, it could take 20 minutes to walk to the San Spirito stop, provided none in the group are over 60.

If they miss the 9:15 boat, add another hour of delay onto the arrival time.
Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SO much for all of the advice. Given that two of our travel partners (parents) are 70+, we're going to book the private water taxi in advance; this seems to be the best solution given our late arrival time.
Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:11 PM

Your travel partners will LOVE you for protecting their well-being.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO