venice: affordable hotels, car rental advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am desperately seeking advice on affordable hotels in Venice. I am searching on the best deals with the best views in Venice, at a price I can live with. I want to go cheap, but not to the point where I am staying in a dump. Is it possible to get a canal view (doesn't necessarily have to be the grand canal) for under $115 (USD)per night? <BR>2) Any advice on renting a car in Italy. My wife and I are renting a car in Venice, and driving to Florence, next day drive through the Tuscany hillside, and then drive to Rome, where we will fly out of.<BR>3) Any particular country roads or sites
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:33 AM

Buddy go on priceline.com and search for a hotel. It gives best price. Rent a car the best rate is autoeurope.com. No one beats them
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:35 AM

Try this site for cheap hotels:<BR><BR>http://www.eurocheapo.com/venice/
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:43 AM

I am going in May and found this place for 125.00 night. I could not find any revies on it. I am chancing it amnyway. They were fast and frindly with the e-mails. www.anticofiore.com <BR>It looks ok and has a canal view and right off the Grand Canal Breakfasy included..
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:45 AM

Yes you can get a canal view at that price assuming it's available. The Hotel Galleria is generally 110euros &amp; some of their rooms have canal views. The Marconi hotel also has some canal views, but there have been reports they won't guarantee a canal view. Try searching on www.venere.com for hotels with prices in your budget. Also if you do a text search here for cheap hotels in Venice you'll get lots of other names.<BR><BR>As to car rental, many people here book through autoeurope.com &amp; seem pleased with their rates. <BR><BR>An alternative you should consider is taking the train from Venice to Florence &amp; getting the car when you leave Florence as parking in Florence can be a challenge.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 10:46 AM

Hi Ed. <BR><BR>Take a look at:<BR><BR>http://www.locandamontin.com/montin/map.htm<BR><BR>There are a few rooms that overlook the Rio Eremite, a picturesque canal. You can get a double room with a shared bath for 110 euros. (Doubles with a private bath are 135 euros.) Two doubles on the top floor which overlook the canal also have balconies.
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:07 PM

We just returned from Italy yesterday and while we were in Venice we stayed at Hotel Galleria. I selected this hotel based off a number of recommendations from this site. Yes it is affordable (110 euros nght) HOWEVER, they have tiny rooms and we got Room 2. Which was just above street &amp; right of the canal which sounds charming until you want to sleep. It was SO loud my earplugs were simply useless. The bathroom was very very very small.<BR>Was it cheap, yes.<BR>Was it clean, mostly.<BR>Was it loud, yes. (not in season either)<BR>Would I stay there again. No
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:17 PM
JBX

~<BR>venice cheap hotel &gt; http://www.fodors.com/forums_reg/pgMessages.jsp?fid=null&amp;tid=34407391<BR>
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:34 PM

Gary, the Locanda Antico Fiore looks great. We loved the locanda we stayed in last year, the Montin, but I'd be open to another locanda for a future trip, so I'd love to hear what you think of the Fiore after you stay there in May. If you remember, please email me when you get back: [email protected] Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 02:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pensione La Calcina is a wonderful 3-star. I've stayed there twice. It's on the Guidecca canal. Rates vary by single or double, bath in room or not, view or no view, and dates you'll be there. www.lacalcina.com<BR>
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:39 AM

We just returned last week and had the exact opposite itinerary. We went Rome - Florence - Venice and if we did it over I would start in Venice. I searched and searched rental car companies and no one came close to autoerope.com. I kept checking their web site and was able to rebook with a lower rate and an upgrade.<BR><BR>We stayed at Hotel Galleria in room 10 which is the large room directly on the grand canal. That room goes for 145 but we thought it was well worth it. One night we brought wine to the room and sat in the windowsills and watched the boats. I have heard the other rooms are VERY small but we loved our room.<BR><BR>There is not much to see between Venice and Florence but Florence to Rome is fantastic. Try to stay off the Autostrada if you have time and wander your way through Tuscany and Umbria. My favorite place was Orvieto. It is packed during the day (12-5) but we spent an evening and next morning there and thought we were the only tourists around. We spent the night at Villa Bellago (located in the country on a lake) for only 75 euro. I have digital pictures if you are interested.