venice acqua alta in november

Oct 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

venice acqua alta in november

We are going to be in Venice on Nov. 26-29 and are somewhat concerned about the acqua alta as regards as to where to book a hotel. Does everything on the island flood or is it just the San Marco Square area? Where is a safe place to stay to keep our feet somewhat dry? If we go farther "inland" is it dryer? Thank you.
Oct 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM

I visited Venice the last two Novembers staying 1 week each time and have yet to experience acqua alta. I personally would not let the possibility of it dictate where to stay.
Oct 13th, 2006, 02:23 PM

A friend of mine was in Venice last year, the week between Christmas and New Year and had acqua alta every day.
I suppose is not easy to predict it with anticipation, but I do think it is more frequent in winter. Anyway, I've heard of it happening all seasons.
When "acqua alta" is very high we can see it here in Spain in the news
Oct 13th, 2006, 09:16 PM

It's just one of those things - more likely as of Dec. but possible in Nov.

Since rain is also very possible, and can accumulate in puddles, have good ankle-high booties or such to keep your feet dry. When a.a. strikes, elevated planks quickly are set up and people balance their way across, but there may be an unavoidable puddle at either end, and elsewhere. If it gets really grim, most hotels have tall boots or even hipwaders for their guests, but that is quite rare.

It's a nuisance, but also kinda funny and makes for good souvenir photos. The sirens that announce the a.a. are eerie, especially when you look out the window in the morning and see mostly fog and hazy rooftops with the sirens going - kinda special.

But don't let it stop you from visiting.
Oct 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM

It was spring, May I think. We left Harry's Bar quite late, the Piazza San Marco was flooded. My husband and I both had on beautiful Italian shoes, no way were we going to get them ruined.

We dashed back to Harry's and stayed for at least a couple of hours..life is tough, lol.

Go to beautiful Venice revstj. If you are really concerned about the acqua alta don't book a hotel around the Piazza San Marco. The San Palo area is a beautiful and less touristy area to stay in.
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:13 AM

We just returned on October 6th and were in Venice from 10/01 through 10/6. We experienced the water and tables set up the last couple of nights there and especially during the last day. It is not a big deal except for the crowds who use the planks to queue up for the sights as well. You can always find a route around the water and thus get an opportunity to explore other areas! Buon Viaggio.
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:27 AM

this website has information on acqua alta and a link to forecasts (it's not easy to see, but you can get it in English)
http://www.veniceword.com/weather.html
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:29 AM

The highest tides occur around full moon and new moon, when the gravitational effects of the sun and moon are combined. There is a half moon on 28 November, so the tides are lowest at this time and the tidal graph suggests there will be no flooding.
www.comune.venezia.it/maree/image/novembre.pdf
Oct 16th, 2006, 07:36 AM

We experienced flooding in Venice the 3 days we were there. The area around our hotel (Violin d'Oro) had thigh-high water from its location to San Marco Square and all surrounding areas. Our hotel had knee high rubber boots for us to utilize which helped somewhat. That said, the only inconvenience was that we should have packed extra pants, socks, and shoes. The water wasn't clean and I would not have choosen to rewear those clothes had I brought more. We stayed in restaurants or bars longer than we would have (like the Harry's Bar post) so be prepared to adapt your schedule. While it was a minor inconveience, I wouldn't trade the memory of seeing & literally experiencing the flooding in Venice for anything!