flooding in Venice in November?

Oct 8th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

flooding in Venice in November?

I will be in Venice for 2 nights in November and now that I have done my research it seems that is the high season for flooding. I do not want to cancel my trip but I do want to avoid staying close to the areas that might get flooded. Out of these 3 hotels (Danieli, Gritti and the westin Europa and Regina) which is most likely to be flood free? Does life go on as normal when the tides occur? Should you not be in a certain place?
Oct 8th, 2005, 11:51 AM

life does go on as normal (what other choice is there?) however, this is not a good time to visit. it is basically an open sewer with faeces.
Oct 8th, 2005, 01:14 PM

mariam,
I've been to venice in november. The San Marco area gets the brunt of the flooding, and even that is for 3 hours or so in the am. Railto isn't that great either. The other areas are mostly fine. You could for example, visit the Jewish ghetto area or Scuola di San Rocco or Chiesa Frari during the am. Its just a matter or scheduling. I wouldn't cancel my trip because of it. While the water isn't clean, its hardly an open sewer.

I know that the Danieli is just behind p. San marco and isn't a great location during high tide. Don't know trhe location of the other hotels, so can't comment. Still, all it means is that you have to leave the area by around 9 am.

Good luck and have fun!
Oct 9th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

ssachid, so you should only avoid the San MArco area for 3 hours? After those 3 hours will I be able to go everywhere? Will I be able to walk waring my everyday shoes or will I need boots?
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:22 AM

If this helps, I'll throw in my experience. We were in Venice for 3 nights and stayed at Hotel Violin d'Oro (close to San Marco piazza). Late each afternoon the water started rising to the point that it was thigh-high at its max. (yes, it smelled bad. We still laugh at the conversation between a mother/son. "If you can smell it, it's there.") The key to avoid walking through the flooded parts was planning where you'd be as the water rose. Our hotel offered knee high boots (not tall enough). One day we wandered into a bar and drank wine & snacked while the water rose. That said, was it inconvenient? yes. Would I do it again? yes. After this experience, my memories of Venice are wonderful and I wouldn't trade having experienced the floods of Venice for anything. Hope this helps...
Oct 9th, 2005, 06:26 AM

I'm going to Venice the second week of November - and while I think my chance of acqua alta is somewhat low compared to Dec or Jan - it would make the trip memorable. A Parisian friend said he loves Venice in November - the fog, the occasional rain - very atmospheric.
Oct 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

How far ahead can you determine if there will be flooding? Will the tourist sites remain open? How about the shope and resturants?
Oct 12th, 2005, 07:10 PM

The flooding (times and extent) are fairly predictable. If you search on this board, you might find some links with predicted flood days based on tides; some weeks will stay dry, others will have more or less degree of flooding. For days with minor to moderate flooding, there are raised walkways put out which will get you around some key routes. We were there last year in early november with clear, cool weather and no flooding, but the opposite is also quite possible. If there is flooding during the time you are there, just check with the desk at your hotel on when it will occur during the day, and ask for advice on what sites would not be affected and how to plan your day.
Oct 13th, 2005, 07:41 PM

For tide charts by month, go to www.comune.venezia.it/maree/astro.asp#zip.
Oct 14th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Jean- Thnaks alot for the link. I did go but it is in italian and I am afraid my italian is very basic. I did manage to go to the chart for november but all the numbers didnt make sense
Oct 14th, 2005, 03:40 AM

You can read about Acqua Alta in venice her in English and feel at peace.

http://www.veniceword.com/weather.html

There also is a link to Acqua Alta forecast.
Oct 14th, 2005, 05:38 AM

The Westin is your best bet vs. the Danieli for flooded areas. The wooden walkways/planks will be erected for flooding and you will do the same as all Venetians and walk above the water. Be certain to take rubber boots and don't worry about fashion footwear! November/December can be a wonderful time to really experience Venice because the tourists will only be a memory for Venetians. It is a charming time to really explore and feel like a local. I love the Europa and Regina and have stayed there twice vs. the Danieli (once). The location is superb. ENJOY!
Oct 14th, 2005, 06:03 AM

http://www.venicebanana.com/eng/maree.htm

Another site which has English page. Click on "tides" on the left. Only 2-3 day forecast but you can see a pattern here. There are 2 peaks a day one in the morning and one aroungd mid night.