Venice

Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Venice

Two active couples, mid-50's staying 3 nights at Villa Igea mid-October. Any suggestions of unique things to see or experience that we might not have read about, i.e. San Marco, Accademia, Guggenheim Collection, Rialto Bridge, Harry's Bar, gondola ride, etc. Any restaurant suggestions? Any of the "must-do" attractions really not a "must-do"? Thanks for your advice and suggestions
Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:11 PM

I enjoy taking the vaporettos to outer islands like Burano (lace making) and Toricello (sp?) full of cats and a sleepy old church i think

anyway you get the unforgettable visage of approaching and seeing Venice from across the lagoon - the city majestically levitating on the lagoon - much as the first glimpse ancient mariners must have got of the city, then as now the world's most mesmerizingly exotic city IMO - getting closer it materializing imagine how the folks back in those days were dazzled.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM

check out the various islands, very unique.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:17 PM
ira

Hi M,

>...Harry's Bar, gondola ride, etc. Any restaurant suggestions? Any of the "must-do" attractions really not a "must-do"? <

You've named 2 of them.

Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM

yeh rather than paying $100 or more for a short gondola ride get a boat pass for the three days and explore all the canals and lagoon via the public buses of Venice - the varporettos that run regular routes constantly throughout the area. Sit in the front seats for a great view.

A boat ride up (or down) the Grande Canale at night is my number one favorite thing to do in all of Europe - as the cracking old facades of the many palaces linging the canal are surrealistically illuminated and as they silently slip by stand as a sweet sentinel to the bygone days of Venetian life.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM

I, personally, enjoyed the gondola ride and would not have missed taking one. If two couples split the cost of a gondola ride, it becomes more affodable. Riding a vaporetto is certainly something you may do to get from place to place within Venice. However, they are often quite crowded so you can't always get a seat up front or, for that matter, even a seat at all.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM

I second the vote for the night vaporetto ride on the grand canal. When lights are on in the fantastic old buildings, you can see in the windows beautiful woodwork, light fixtures, art and furnishings. Voyeuristic but fun. Doges Palace Secret Itinerary tour was very interesting. Also, don't miss the late night orchestra "competitions" on Piazza San Marco. Each orchestra shows off and tries to outdo each other. Lovers dance in the square beneath the moonlight. People without lovers wish they could get one at a souvenir shop.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 05:47 PM

You can take a traghetto to cross the grand canal at several points between bridges. These are gondolas with two oarsmen. A ride costs something like 50 euro cents. Traditionally people stand for the crossing (although with my bad knees I took a seat).
Jun 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM

Definitely do the gondola ride. We almost didn't, and are so glad we did. I even asked the gondolier if he would sing, and he did!

We also ate at an outdoor restaurant on the Grand Canal near the Rialto Bridge, which isn't "cool" on this site. We loved sitting and watching the traffic on the canal, and it was wonderful. The food was good and the service was great. We also loved the Secret Itinerary tour.

The Rialto market is lots of fun, and a great place for taking photos early in the morning. We saw artists painting along the canal, and even a funeral pass by--- in gondolas.

On the island of Murano, we went off the beaten track and ran across an osteria on a small piazza. The place was full of glass workers on their lunchtimes. We were the only tourists there, and the owner kept bringing us things he thought we would like. It was so much fun, and everyone made us feel so welcome. It is another of our best memories, and one we could never have planned.

My best memory, though, was sitting outside at the Cafe Florian----sipping a drink and listening to the orchestra, under the stars. I dream about it. Can you tell I love Venice????

Have a blast, and don't try to plan every moment. Leave plenty of room for "serendipity". Ciao
Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:09 PM

I am marking this thread, I too am staying at Villa Igea but in August. I have never been to Venice. Im still debating the secret itinerary tour only because I am extremely claustrophobic, hearing there are small little places to crawl around in really doesnt sound appealling to me
Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:22 PM

dejafaux,

If you are claustrophobic, I would definitely NOT advise the Secret Itinerary tour. I am not even claustrophobic, but the narrow stairwells and low ceilings made me think about how uneasy it would make people who are.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:27 AM

Hi Marcia,

3 places I visited last trip to Venice that you didn't have on your list:

Ca d'Oro - palazzo turned museum, interesting to see what a palazzo was like

Il Frari - beautiful church where Verde is entombed and Titian's Assumption is absolutely amazing

La Grande Scuola di San Rocco - dizzying art overload, like nothing you've ever seen

Buon viaggio!
Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM

Venice is the perfect city to wander. Myself the gondola ride is not appealing, but I loved riding the regular vaporetto down the Grand Canal. My favorite foods were at simple cafes offering coffees, glasses of wine, pre-made sandwiches.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM

lesliec1, to your last sentence!