Venice suggestions for 2 days

Mar 11th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Venice suggestions for 2 days

I am arriving in Venice at noon on April 30, and leaving at noon on May 2 (total 2 days) with my wife and daughter. We know that we want to go to Murano to shop for glass, but do not know how long that will take. We would appreciate any suggestions for an itineray for such a short stay. This is our first visit. Thank you.
Mar 11th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Fairhope

I would not take the time to go to Murano to buy glass unless you have a particular reason.There is plenty of glass in Venice and the trip will take too much time out of your limited schedule.It is a 2-4 journey depending on how you go about it
Just walk to see the usual sights with a good map

Mar 11th, 2005, 07:39 PM

I agree with Fairhope. There is plenty of Murano glass available in Venice proper. You can better use your time to walk around San Marco Square, ride the elevator up the Campinile to get a great view, and to wander the streets and see the great little bridges over the minor canals. It's a magical city and you'll want memories and photos, as well as the glass.
Mar 11th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Oh, one more thing: Be excited, be very excited. You're going to a wonderful city! Have a great time.
Mar 12th, 2005, 04:12 AM

You can't see all the sights in the main part of the city in 4 days, let alone 2. Save Murano for another visit.
Mar 12th, 2005, 04:29 AM

"I would not take the time to go to Murano to buy glass unless you have a particular reason."

The reason is that most of the "Murano glass" sold in Venice comes from Eastern Europe. You have to be very careful if you want the real thing. The rule of thumb is this: if you can afford it, then it is probably Bulgarian.

Still, it wqould be utter folly to be in Venice for two days and kill part of the tiome shopping for glass in Murano.

PS If you do go to Murano, do not take one of the free rides/tours. These are often scams. Take a regular Vaparetto there on you own.
Mar 12th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Fairhope

Now that you have some feedback other than mine, I will tell you that as part of our Venice tour we took a ride out to a particular glass factory where we purchased a teardrop chandelier for our new house. Three weeks later it was delivered by DHL within three days of being picked up in Venice. It arrived in perfect condition. This was a very professional (but sales oriented) operation.
I will post the name of the glass company if asked

Mar 12th, 2005, 05:32 AM

I was just in bella Venezia and met a wonderful glassmaker,Mauro Vianello. He is from Murano and has a shop near Piazza San Marco where you can watch him making the items in the store.

He was terrific, I stayed and talked to him for about an hour. Not only did I buy several great pieces,but he gave me all kinds of tips on things to see in Venice. He has a website at www.glasshandmade.it. If you go,tell him Margo from Maryland sent you!
Mar 12th, 2005, 07:18 AM

I have just returned from a 3 day stay in Venice and agree with others that it is not necessary to visit Murano.
I recommend taking a guided tour around the Doges Palace and taking the elevator up the Campinile.
The food is a rip off so go for cheap pasta type meals in cafe type establishments. Eat away from St Mark's Square.
Buy a day ticket for waterbus at 10.50E to use one day, and walk the other day.
Don't miss a trip on gondola even though it is overpriced (Minimum 25E per person) as this is the essence of Venice.
If you like modern art the Peggy Guggenheim Collection is good. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Mar 12th, 2005, 03:01 PM

I would like to add a thought. If you have the interest and the time, going to the Jewish Ghetto in Venice is really seeing a part of the history of Venice.

I say this although I am not Jewish. I was amazed when I took dear Italian friends that live in the area of Veneto to Venice and discovered that although they had lived near Venice all their life they had never visited the Jewish Ghetto.

Piazza SanMarco, the islands, etc. are wonderful of course. But get a map (the Bernstson City Streets maps - the one for Venezia) will give you a good look at the wonderful neighborhoods of Venice.

Venice is a walking city. You will be amazed how much you can walk to without feeling stressed or rushed.

Have a wonderful visit in Venice!
Mar 12th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Hi Billand Christy. Just a thought. When you say you are arriving in Venice at noon on April 30 and leaving at noon on May 2 (total 2 days) are you referring to the time you will arrive at the airport or the St. Lucia train station or the car garage?

I ask because if you are referring to the time that you arrive in Venice by whatever transportation method you are using, and then using the noon time as departure from Venice by whatever transportation method you are using - well be aware that you will need to allocate time from your transportation to checking into to your hotel etc and then again in reverse on May 2nd.

Just rereading your post it does not appear as though you will have a full 2 days to enjoy Venice.

That does not mean you cannot have a wonderful and beautiful time in Venice (of course you will!) but do be realistic as to how much sightseeing time you will actually have.

Mar 12th, 2005, 05:00 PM
PJK

Save at least three or four hours to simply wander aimlessly. We did few of the "must-do's" and saw few of the "must-see's." I thought the city was magical. (Pardon the overused expression, but it is the best descriptor I know of). I will never forget my first glimpse of the Grand Canal, of San Marco, of alley after alley, of incredible window boxes. Don't overplan for such a short visit. (And I agree with all that has been said about Murano. A visit is not worth the time commitment. However, if you do decide to go, be sure to avoid the long lunch break, from 12 to 2, as I recall. No demonstrations were taking place, but most of the show rooms were open.)
Mar 15th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Great advice from everyone. This will surely make our visit much more enjoyable. Thank you for taking the time to write.