2 Days in Venice

Search

2 Days in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Days in Venice

I am now planning part 3 of my 3-city trip to Italy- Venice. Any advice, ideas, missed things?

Day 7- Train to Venice in AM
Water taxi north on Grand Canal
Rialto Bridge
Ca ’d’oro- palazzo- paintings, sculptures, objects d’arte www.cadoro.org
Santa Maria Gloriosa dea Frari- 2nd largest church in Venice (inexpensive)
Scuola Grande di San Rocco- paintings (expensive)
Santa Maria della Salute- church

Ca’Rezzonico- museum of venetian palace (may not have time)
Collezione Peggy Gugenheim- modern art (expensive) (may not have time)
Scuola Grande dei Carmini (may not have time)
San Sabastiano (may not have time)
Gallery di Arcadia- paintings (may not have time)

Murano glass factory museum (free) (may not have time)

Gondola Ride to Cipriani (near Rialto bridge)

Day 8-
St Marks Bascillica- church (free) treasury and pala d’oro (inexpensive) arrive early, no need for guided tour
Piazza San Marco Campanile- bell tower of St Marks- arrive early- open area in front of St Marks
Palazzo Ducale- Doge’s Place- gothic building (expensive)
Santa Maria Formosa- square with lively action and cafes (lunch)
Sante Giovanni e Paolo- Pantheon of Venice, tombs and sculptures (free)

San Giovanni in Bragora- small church (may not have time)
Madona de Orto- church, off the trail, (may not have time) (far)
Santo Stefano- church (inexpensive) (may not have time)
Museo Civico Corner- small museum with paintings (may not have time)

Ghost Tour of Venice
Secret Itinerary tour
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:58 PM

idaninalevy wrote: "Any advice, ideas, missed things?"

Missed things? I think you missed out about three days. That's wa-ay too much.

Knock most things off your list, and make time for at least one unplanned walk, going from A to A. Remember: Venice is a city, albeit a very unusual one, and not just a collection of tourism targets.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM

WOW! That's a lot of places! I hope you fit some time in for checking into your hotel and sleeping!

Here's what I would recommend. If this is your first time in Venice, you'll want to spend most of your time walking and traveling by the Vaporetto to get your bearings. Plus, Venice to me is just all the more charming when you walk around. Pick your must-sees and prioritize them.

As for the Murano glass factory museum, most glass factories on the island of Murano will invite you in for a free demonstration of how the glass is made. Many of the stores themselves are museums in their own way. What you describe sounds like they provide you a free water taxi to their factory, and then you're hit up for a hard sell. If you buy the Vaporetto pass, you can get there on your own, on your own time, not prescheduled.

Enjoy Venice. It's a gorgeous city that's to be savored slowly.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 03:02 AM
ira

Hi I,

>Water taxi north on Grand Canal
Rialto Bridge

You don't need to hire a water taxi on the GC. Use the Vaporetto. Schedulesa are at www.actv.it/

The train station is North of the Rialto.

The Cipriani Hotel is nowhere near the Rialto. It is across from San Marco.

Forget the glass factory. They will try to sell you something and if you don't buy it, you have to walk home.

You have too many things on your schedule for only 2 days.

Pick 4 must does (2 mornings and 2 afternoons) and spend the rest of the time enjoying Venice.

I suggest allowing some time to take a sunset ride on the Grand Canal via vaporetto.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 03:41 AM

I agree with others you are trying to schedule far too many things given your short time in Venice. To me it would make more sense to start on your Day 7 with a visit to San Marco, taking the vaporetto down the Grand Canal as suggested in other posts. You will probably find that you want to walk and explore the first day rather than trying to schedule museums.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 04:10 AM

We were in Venice for three days and did about a third of what's on your list. Day 1 we went to St Mark's in the morning, wandered around for about an hour, got lunch, and then went to Doge's Palace in the afternoon - it was a lovely day. I agree with the previous poster - if you pick 4 things you definately want to see and then spend the rest of the time going up lovely side streets and having nice meals I think you'll get a lot more out of the city.

We ended up having our nicest time in the city when we got somewhat lost cutting up a side street - we found a little bar and bought drinks to sit by the canal and watch the boats go by - it was peaceful and beautiful and definately not on the list of "things to see".

Have a great visit.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 04:39 AM

Plot all your sights (sites) on a map so you'll keep track of what's nearby as you're walking around.

www.communitywalks.com
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 06:35 AM

I also don't see any advantage to using a water taxi on the Grand Canal. The water buses (vaporetti)are much less expensive and they are frequent.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 10:35 AM

The main thing you left out is just wandering around. Venice, itself, is as important as any of the individual sights. It is so enchanting, I find it hard to be inside in museums while I am there. Just people watching in Campo S. Margherita or going to the market for fruit reminds me I am really in Venice.

We've been to Venice five times and still done only 7 of your listed possible activities. Though we have visited a couple of churches not on your list, taken a tour of the Ghetto, attended a concert in one of the churches and visited Burano, that is still only a dozen things total.

Even though I am a painter, I've not made it to the major museums. I have enjoyed seeing paintings hanging in the churches in the spaces they were designed for.

So, make your plan for four major things with a few more possibilities and play it by ear. Don't worry about missing sights. Venice will be your real "experience."

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I know everyone travels in a different style & at a different pace, but I've been in Venice twice for 5 days each time and have not done one single thing that's on your (overly crammed imo) itinerary. I definitely don't think you have time for ANY of your "may not have time" items!
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM

The water bus pass is the way to go but be aware that they stop running around 10PM or whenever (check schedules)so don't get caught on one at quitting time. They just stop and there you are (wherever that might be).

Burano is touristy but lunch while wondering if that tower is going to fall down today is nice. I think they still fish out of there.

Murano glass houses ply you with champagne but have some small, transportable, object d'art that are nice. Think twice about that ugly chandelier....

And watch out for sitting down for a glass of wine (or coffee if you are so inclined) in St Mark's Square and being hit with a "music charge" for $15. I found out why people stand just outside the planters and listen for free....
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 02:27 AM

Oh, suze! You really need to make time for at least some of what's on idaninalevy's list--many of the sights are wonderful to experience.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 04:58 AM

By the way, the water bus (vaporetto) schedules do run past 10 PM, and there are even some reduced schedule lines that run after midnight. Do check the ACTV website for more info www.actv.it
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 03:03 PM

Jake1 you beat me to the reply. I was there last May and the vaporettos absolutely run after 10 pm. One of my favorite things to do around midnight was hop on one and ride it full circle. Venice at night with a full moon....there is nothing better!