Venice

Apr 24th, 2007, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Venice

My daughter and two cousins and I are planning a trip to Italy next May. We are beginning our trip in Rome and ending in Venice, however, I'd like to take my daughter somewhere after Venice for a couple of days before heading home. I was thinking Austria. Is there a town close to Venice in Austria (with an airport nearby) we can visit that would be worthwhile?
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:13 AM
ira

Hi deb,

May I suggest taking www.myair.com from Venice VCE to Paris ORY?

If it must be Austria, you can take the train to Vienna or Salzburg.

Munich airport is about 2 hr from Salzburg. It might be cheaper than flying out of Salzburg.

Apr 24th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Rd

Why not drive to the Italian Lakes from Venice and spend your time there. Do Austria next time round.
Apr 24th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Pausanias

Or Trieste.

Apr 24th, 2007, 07:42 AM

I'm totally in agreement with Rd, Deb, to stay and discover a bit of Northern Italy-the Lakes would be great, but how about Italy's answer to Austria, the city that was once part of Austria, and where the Habsburgs left their mark-Trieste? You've got the great coffee houses that you'll find in Vienna, one of the most beautifully sited castles on the sea, with stunning gardens, you'll ever see anywhere-Castello di Miramare-built by the Austrian Archduke Maximilian for his wife. A Piazza (Piazza Unita) that many believe is more beautiful than San Marco because it faces right on the sea-and of course, if you want to experience a lovely little beach resort community, with a small ancient historical center and great seafood restaurants, you can hop the ferry for the 15 minute ride over to Grado, from Trieste. I extended my stay in Trieste I liked it so much; it reminds me a bit of Northern California, how the mountains go down to the sea, and up top there is another castle fort that the Venetians built as a look-out.

Great place that nobody seems to visit, is Trieste, other than famous writers and poets-R.M. Rilke wrote his "Duino Elegies" here-staying as he did right by the Duino Castle, which is just down the road.