Search

Venice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 07:02 AM
Lilya Niznik

Venice

Is May an OK month to go to Venice?, and is four day enough?. I am trying to beat the crowds, but also get a decent airfare. Also, what is the best hotel vith a great view of the canal( can be expensive).

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 07:36 AM
Beth

We stayed at Londra Palace, which was a very nice hotel with an outstanding view of the basin. Its next door to the Danieli, which is arguably the best hotel in Venice. Londra is slightly less expensive though. Good breakfast, nice size rooms, jacuzzi tubs in the bathrooms. Only problem was the noise. If you want the windows open it is very loud right there.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 05:46 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Lilya <BR>May should be good weather wise, temp <BR>should average about 65 deg F and about <BR>to expect 3" of rain. Four days is <BR>an better than average start most try' <BR>it in two. Not knowing the actual <BR>price range of hotels can suggest the <BR>Gabrille. Europa , Monaco all on the <BR>top range, some rooms do face the Grand <BR>Canal others do not, less expensive is <BR>the Marconi down by the Rialto Bridge <BR>Check into www.veniceinfo.it/ for an <BR>excellant listing of Venice hotels with <BR>each having a map showing its location. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, IL...

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 06:02 PM
Rod Hoots

May is probably the best month, weather wise, but you won't beat the crowds unless you go before April 15th when the weather can be a little chilly. The two luxury hotels with rooms facing directly onto the Grand Canal are the Gritti Palace and the Europa and Regina. Watch out for "canal view" rooms as the view will be to the side. I would fax the hotel and have them verify that your room will face the canal. For a good canal front room you'll pay about $500-700 per night for a double. It's worth it if it will be your only visit to Venice. <BR>

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 04:15 AM
Maira

Agree with Rod Hoots. All of it, including the part about paying for a special place if this is your first to Venice. Four days is a reasonable stay. <BR> <BR>I was there on early May 94 and it was crowded and mostly rainy. Venice, however, is one of the few places in Earth, where weather is a complete non-issue. It was spectacular.

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 10:02 AM
Donna

I agree with the previous post: weather is a non-issue. Venice is wonderful any time of the year, you just deal with the rain or high-water and do your thing. <BR> <BR>I've stayed at the Bauer Grunwald twice and both times, had a room over the canal . . . but both times it was off season and we got the room for 1/2 price. ASK for it. It is a wonderful hotel. <BR> <BR>I've also stayed at the Danieli, also a wonderful, decadent, palace, and had an okay room at the side, no water view. <BR> <BR>Even if you don't stay at the Danieli, you must go there for a visit. Walk around the lobby, walk up that grand staircase and look around. <BR> <BR>My trips to Venice were in mid-April, late September, and late October. No crowds whatsoever in October. No sun, either, quite cold, layered clothing, but we remember most the beauty, the food, the history, the glass. <BR> <BR>Go in April and stay an extra day . . .

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 10:18 AM
lola

Agree with previous posts--when you book be extremely precise about the view you'll be getting. Is it full-frontal? And as this is the Jubilee year, crowds will be greater than ever. To beat the crowds generally, get up as early as possible when going to popular sites and museums, or at the last hour or so before closing. Try to avoid weekends, 9 am guided tour times, etc. If you eat really early you usually can get into the best restaurants--that is, before 8, so not really a hardship. I find a bit of manuevering can work wonders...

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 10:43 AM
Rex

Lola's advice to avoid Venice on weekends goes double if you are thinking about bringing a car to park at Tronchetto on a Friday afternoon. 1000 camels trying to pass through the eye of a needle.

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 10:57 AM
elaine

Hi Lilya <BR>If you have any interest in my sightseeing notes for Venice, fall 98, feel free to email me. Yes, 4 days is a good amount for a first trip, though no amount of time would be enough for me.

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 11:43 AM
Dona

Lilya, <BR> <BR>I also agree with most of what's been said. My favorites are the Europa and regina and Gritti Palace. More quiet than the Danielli. <BR> <BR>Have been to Venice in February for Carnivale, for New Year's eve, and in the fall many times - agree -weather is a non-issue in this fabulous place. <BR> <BR>Even in the ost crowded times, I have found that once you leave San Marco area, you become relatively free of crowds. <BR> <BR>Four days is a good start - but I can't be there enough - and I never get bored. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time - and just walk and walk......... <BR> <BR>Dona

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 06:26 PM
Frank

Lilya, as an alternative I would suggest you try Lido. You can take your car right up to the Hotel Les Bains and they have a launch every hour that will take you over to Venice, about 10 minutes each way. Return is easy also as the Denali is a sister hotel where you can also have dinner and charge to your room. May should be great, they even have beaches and a golf course! The rooms are huge and the service is the best. We liked the idea of staying "outside" of Venice and all the crowds, keeping the car and within striking distance. Lido itself is a wonderful little town. Have a great trip.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 04:36 AM
Mary Ann

We stayed in September at the Hotel Galleria. It is on the Grand Canal just next to the Accademia bridge. The rooms can be small, ours was very narrow, but we had a view of the canal, including, if you were up early and looked to San Marco, a great view of the sunrise. We paid about $100 a night including breakfast which was served in the room while we watched the traffic on the canal. We left the window open and traffic noise was not a problem. They did have a larger room for $150. The staff was pleasant and helpful. This is not a luxury hotel but it was clean and comfortable. Considering the time you spend in the room, the ambiance was fine. The rooms have a private wc and shower, size consistent with the room. If you call make sure you ask for a direct canal view.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 02:52 PM
Laura

I totally disagree with the former advice about the Europa and Regina Hotel. I stayed there last June for a week on my honeymoon. Yes, the rooms are nice and my view was wonderful but it should have been for close to $1000.00 per night. I have had cleaner rooms in cheap hotels. The staff appears to be getting kickbacks-like quoting $40,000 lire higher than the government's published price for a gondola ride-that's just one example. It left a very bad taste in my mouth. I would never go back.