Vendome Brussels -Yes or No?

Aug 17th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Vendome Brussels -Yes or No?

Has anyone first hand experience with this hotel? I am dealing with Go-travel to upgrade to a four star [this is supposedly a three star, but they are telling me it would be $120 to $160 more A PERSON to upgrade...outrageous and the quoted rates for these 4-star hotels don't correspond with the rate jump! Per person Sounds more like B&B rates. So after reading one god-awful review of Vendome, am I jumping the gun here and are there three star hotels in Brussels near the Grand Place that you would consider better? Thanks.
Aug 17th, 2006, 07:10 AM

Why are you dealing with Go-travel?

Anyway, suggest you go to www.hotels.de and see what's available in Brussels for your dates. Compare those prices against whatever Go-travel is quoting you.
You can usually find well-located good 4-star hotels in Brussels for 100€ to 140€ per room (not per person).
Aug 17th, 2006, 07:30 AM

I suggest you check the (mostly negative) reviews on Trip Advisor and pay particular to Sept. 18 2005 review noting the difference in rooms given to people paying full rate and those on promotional packages.
You won't get any Grande'Place atmosphere at or near the hotel...it's on a very busy commercial street, lots of traffic, lots of grey office buildings. Some sex shops in the neighborhood, but you won't be bothered by their patrons. It's not a long walk to the GP, but it's not around the corner either. IMO, the best thing about the hotel is that it's close to the Maison du Dragon hotel which caters to Asian tour groups and consequently has a quite good Chinese restaurant.
You'd do much better to stay at one of the small hotels around St. Catherine's or up in the Avenue Louise area. Any options there?
The Novotel is closer to the GP and is a much nicer hotel in all respects. Is that a possibility?
Aug 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Personally, I think both the Novotel and the Ibis (yes, the Ibis !) near the GP are perfectly good hotels.
OK, they're chain hotels but the Ibis especially is excellent value for money and in the perfect location.
Unless you're after a super romantic weekend break, that's the one I'd choose.
Aug 17th, 2006, 11:35 AM

The only thing in the least romantic about the Vendome is its name. The Novotel (and Ibis) both beat it hands down in every other category.
Aug 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Astrid Centre hotel (http://www.astridhotel.be/en/home.htm)is a nice three stars hotel close to the GP and prices are reasonable.
Aug 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM

I say no. It's utterly devoid of charm in one of the least charming parts of the GP area.

I recommend the hotel I stay in, Hotel Noga, about a 4 minute walk from Vendome off St. Catherine's, which BTilke suggested.