Vegetarian in Provence

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vegetarian in Provence

My husband and I are very picky eaters, not really enjoying anything fancy and I am a vegetarian. I am so looking forward to visiting provence this summer, but am truly worried (even intimidated) about eating out. I am afraid we won't be able to find things to eat and that the French will think we are awful. Will we have problems finding things to eat on most menus? Has anyone ever been in the same situation or have some advice?
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Over on the bonjourparis.com site you will find a thread about vegetarian restaurants in Paris, and what you can read there is true of most of France. Many restaurants have vegetarian offerings, and some that don't will prepare something for you that isn't on the menu. So don't worry.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Hey - ratatouille and salades composees (minus the meat & fish) would be a great option. If you do happen to be 'fishatarian' then Provence will be no problem.

I think our French friends understand about us Anglo-Saxon 'vegetariens' by now! No worries, have fun.
HTH
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 12:36 PM

If you eat eggs and dairy you will find a wealth of options. If you're vegan it will be a little more challenging but not impossible.

We (lacto-ovo) had no trouble ordering delicious fresh vegetable dishes, omeletes, and salads in Provence. For dinner, call ahead and let the chef know you're vegetarian. They'll appreciate the forewarning and you'll reap the benefit of their ingenuity.

For simple dinners you will find a wealth of good pizza and there's always salad w/goat's cheese (chevre chaud), yum.

Enjoy!

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Provence is rich is vegetables, explain to the waiter, no problem.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 05:18 PM

....and they are some of the best vegetables you will ever taste............
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:08 PM

Provence is probably the best place to go in France if you're vegetarian. You won't believe what great vegetable dishes you'll have!!

Check the menus before you go into the restaurant. They are required to post them outside. If they have nothing you want, go elsewhere. You will have no trouble finding vegetarian fare.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:25 PM
reggie

Sal is so right on the button.
Vegetables in Provence cannot be beat,
And you will never find more colorful markets to photograph. I visited for the first time, this great country of France and tried all their bounty.

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 05:49 AM
sandi

There is plenty to eat for vegetarians, however, do make certain that the restaurant doesn't use beef or chicken stock in preparing some dishes, such as for steaming vegetables. It has been known to happen. So ask.